Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Best to You this Morning




The First Officer knows this very well, but for those unawares, I really like cold cereal in the morning. Ever since I can remember, I have been a fan of these golden flakes or whatever shape.

I think that I picked this up from Grandpa...He was a cereal nut, but he liked to mix cereals, like Special K with Puffed Wheat or Wheaties with Puffed Rice, things like that. Growing up, I think that I ate more cereal in Bayside and East Hartford than the rest of the family combined! Well, not that much.


Much of what I like today I ate when I was younger, such as the pictures suggest and Rice Krispies, all Chex flavors, Wheaties, Raisin Bran, Kix, Shredded Wheat and Special K. Probably others I've forgotten (horrors!) as well. For all unsweetened cereal, I add honey and 2% milk (I think that the F.O. is shaking her head when she reads this).



And there are new cereals I will try many. In the cabinet now is Honey Bunches of Oats and they're quite good (no honey needed). I'll try anything. And what about all those defunct brands? Does anyone remember Post Crispy Critters from the mid 60's? I didn't think so! I remember the TV ad song "The one and only cereal that comes in the shape of animals". How about General Mills Triples? From the late 80's until about 1999, this was a sort of knockoff of the famous crisp rice cereal, except the cereal included blue and red kernels. It was great, but the general decided to drop the brand...oh well.


I'll eat eggs that are in an omelet or scrambled (no fried, soft or hard cooked, or poached), or pancakes or waffles, but cereal's number one for breakfast. The F.O. gave me for Christmas 2006 a Tony the Tiger bowl, spoon and juice glass...which I use often. Should I write an Ode to cereal? Suggestions are welcome!

8 comments:

Patti said...

hey! I thought I was going to write about your cold cereal addiction.
dueling blogs, I see

Lynn said...

Do you like to eat cold cereal even when it's really cold outside? I like mixing my cereals too...but I try not to mix my metaphors.

Joan said...

I eat cereal on occasion but the cereal addict in our family is Hubby. He adores GoLean Crunch and eats it everyday for breakfast and sometimes for lunch and dinner. It's helped him keep off the 70 lbs he lost a few years ago so maybe I need to re-think my choice of breakfast foods.
Also...I'm surprised Lynn didn't mention her childhood favorite-- Alphabets--I can still remember her eating it all the time!

Lynn said...

I would have mentioned them, but my mind doesn't go back that far. Besides I then moved on to: Frosted Flakes, Trix, Cheerios, Honey-nut Cheerios, g
Grape nuts...well you get the idea.

Patti said...

Lynn, try Honey Bunches of Oats if you haven't already.

Lynn said...

Patti, I will buy them on my next shopping trip. Thanks for the suggestion. Hi Ralph, I don't want you to feel left out of the conversation ;~).

allegra said...

i miss triples! :(

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

oh i love love love cereal! but sarge says cereal is not a meal, it is a snack. he wants eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, and grits. what to do, what to do????

smiles, bee