Thursday, April 12, 2007

Here a me, There an ow, Everywhere...

I grew up a dog person, with Boris, Maggie and Tasha. Boris was the best of a nice bunch, he would always pick up a gift to offer you when you got home. All 3 were pretty loyal and enjoyed being skritched. I like doggies!

So how did we end up with a felinus obnoxious? More precisely, Sir Humphrey of the Uplands? Well, being a guy, I wanted a big oaf of a dog, big and loyal. This is diametrically opposed to the first officer's view of the ideal caninus obnoxious, a small lap dog. How do you bridge that gulf? With a compromise known as a cat.

I have a friend who had at the time had 8 cats, and Sir Humphrey showed up at his house. Humpo had a collar, and they let him in. In no time at all, Hump was picking a fight with the Alpha male in that house. we were asked if we'd like a cat, so we said okay.

He is a good cat: doesn't claw drapes or furniture or walk around food on the counter or table. A 'keeper' I was advised by a cat person. He even sleeps on my corner at the foot of the bed, although he becomes a "fur slick" at least 4 times larger if he gets really relaxed. I find that I don't have the heart to kick him off the bed, so I attempt to sleep in the most convoluted pretzel shape so as to not disturb him. You wouldn't do that to yours, would you??? I shudder to think of my sleeping problems with a 100 pound Yellow Lab at my feet...

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I grew up with a hamster. Then as an adult I had 4 cats and 1 dog (all at the same time). The dog slept next to my bed and the four cats formed a circle around my head. Now we have a 78 pound yellow lab. When she joins us on the bed, well lets just say that there isn't much room for anything or anyone else.

Joan said...

I grew up with fish and turtles...not exactly the warmest of creatures. I've had one cat which I gladly let my boyfriend (at the time) keep when we split up and I've been pet-free ever since. Hubby grew up with a large menagerie of dogs but not in his adult life. Now that we're retired, we've talked and talked about getting a dog but who would take care of it when we go off on our many travels? Such a dilemma.