Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Summer breeze, makes me feel fine

I.m still waiting for warm weather...we've had this stupid Nor'easter since late Saturday and 6-7 inches of rain and it's only 40 outside...well, I want warm weather. I, like many at a particular age, do not want my life to speed by but I am starting to think more and more about vacation time in August. Usually happens about now.

For the past few years, we go to the Cape (Cod), and stay in the heart of Hyannis. We usually stay at a motel right in the center that has (1) wheelchair room and is in walking/rolling distance of every restaurant on Main Street. One of my favorites evokes an English pub (with 20 oz. British pints of beer only $4.75) and pub grub. And many places with the best clam chowdah anywhere (and, this is Red Sox territory on the Cape). And a Mini-Golf place on Main St, in which I can play nearly all 18 holes in my chair). And a genuine French bakery where you can get a genuine baguette for breakfast for $2. We (Captain, First Officer, Purser and Second Officer) really love this place, and hope to still keep the tradition even as the urchins grow up, and they're still game...College or not.

Another late summer treat is when our home grown Roma tomatoes and Basil are fully grown. I keep thinking about my favorite summer salad with sliced Roma's, fresh Basil leaves and Mozzarella tossed with a bit of oil and Balsamic vinegar with a touch of salt & pepper. Chill this or about 3 hours, and serve this dish on the patio with some grilled Portuguese bread and a crisp Sauvignon Blanc...I see some bloggers probably in SoCal, and pine for your weather...I don't want to get older too quick, but my favorite summer things are so worth waiting for! Hey, it will be 70 (F) this Sunday...

7 comments:

Lynn said...

I've never been to the Cape, but having read your post, I felt like I've been there. I know that if I ever go, I'll know just what to do, and where to stay.

As far as your home grown tomatoes, there is nothing as delicious as home grown tomatoes...the ones in the stores always taste like cardboard. Haven't eaten dinner yet, and now I'm hungry...home hubby gets home soon.

Lynn said...

p.s. Glad your comment section is up and running again :~)

Michael C said...

Wow. I would gladly trade in a hot summer in so cal for the New England summer you just described. My Mom was born in Maine and I love the few times I've gotten to go back. And of course I still have lobster withdrawls. It's not the same steaming a lobster tail out here that was shipped from Maine days (if not weeks) before ;-)

Joan said...

I'm with Michael. While our sizzling summers may sound good to someone suffering through a "winter with no end," trust me when I tell you that they can be brutal. Your New England summer, however, sounds divine. Cape Cod in August...what could be better?

Patti said...

You're right, Joan. Cape Cod in August is great.

Ralph said...

michel c, the First Officer is looking for that Cape Cod/Maine specialty, a lobster roll. Not lobster salad, but chunks of the Northern Atlantic lobster sauted in butter and heaped into a toasted New England hot dog bun.

The fresher the lobster the better, unlike the wagon train that delivers these same month to you!

Trudy said...

People should read this.