Monday, May 21, 2007

Airheads Revisited

After I dropped Kid1 off at the Uof H for the graduation yesterday, I figured that since the airport (Bradley Intl, Hartford/Springfield - BDL) was only about 9 or so miles from there, I'd look at airplanes!

Like when I was a little kid at the candy store at 202nd St and Northern Blvd. in Bayside, here I was a big kid at the airport. I miss the days when you go to the gate areas, but there are windows here to look at the planes, some taking off, some landing, stuff that is still interesting to me. I've always liked the idea of being in a heavier than air machine in the air. As for this photo, it is not mine...but I was parked at McDonalds on Rte 75 in Windsor Locks, and if I had my camera, I could've had this shot right out the window of my van...no camera. But this shot is pretty much what I saw of the Southwest 737 landing on Runway 33. In fact, a real airgeek would tell you that this plane was flight 748 from Chicago.

Well I like airplanes and airports, and it's legal (makes me a plane-o-holic?). I remember in 2001 (pre 9-11) I was with Kid2 at the New Haven airport and the airline person asked if we'd like to go out on the tarmac (he had a key), and a USAirways Express commuter plane was pulling up. We thought this was so fascinating that although the plane was small (a Dash-8, 37 passengers) it was cool being outside. The plane landed, the people got off, the luggage was retrieved, the garbage from the flight offloaded, the fuel truck began to fill it up, etc. Kid2 at age 9 was impressed as was this 45 year old Dad.

i spoke with an older couple who said that they camte to BDL on Sundays to have breakfast and look at planes, and they were very nice and we had an extended conversation ranging from the DC-3 to the L-1011 (ask the F.O. about her first flights on an L-1011 and the Bahamasair aborted takeoff). I noticed that at the one parking area off the departure end of runway 24, there were about six cars parked there, and most of them looked like parents with kids waiting for a something to take off. I think that the parents might have wanted some plane action as much if not more than the youngsters...of course, I understand such behaviour :>)

6 comments:

Michael C said...

We had a planes of fame show a few cities from here this weekend. By standing in my backyard Friday evening, I was treated to 3 P-38's flying in formation, a B-17 and a couple of Hellcats. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Lynn said...

I remember as a kid, going to Kennedy airport and watching the planes land. It was always so exciting...Out here when you drive on the freeway that goes past the airport, there are times when the timing is perfect and a plane goes right over the car...you can almost touch it.

Joan said...

I love watching planes take off and land. When we were young, our grandparents rented an apartment in Rockaway, during the summers, right on the glide path of JFK airport. We'd stand outside and watch the planes come right over the building and they seemed close enough to touch. And the roar was deafening and exciting!

Patti said...

Michael and Lynn: wait until Homer starts talking about going to look at old cars...
(he likes the ones from the 40s and 50s the best)
:~)

Patti said...

Wow! Joan, you and I were reading Ralph's blog simultaneously!! Cool.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE planes! especially military planes!

smiles, bee