Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Cooking a la Ralph

I have noted in the past that I do enjoy cooking. The F.O. says that things best illustrated by this photo is work. I would answer that chopping up an onion or pepper is actually relaxing to me. In this situation, the major construction on our wheelchair accessible kitchen was fairly complete (the walls weren't taped, spackled and painted yet). I was making a crock pot meal, a pot roast I'd guess, judging by the onion being chopped, the potatoes on the side, and the can of Swanson's low sodium beef broth. Celery and carrots were probably part of the equation. (note to Kids 1 and 2: Celery enhances stews and soups...makes them taste better!).

It was worth the money and equity loans to reconfigure the place to allow me to cook more easily from the chair. And eliminating the carpeting in this area with a laminate floor makes the wheelchair move easier. The wider doors to the garage and living room also make life easier.

Even if I grill outside, the reconfigured kitchen makes outdoor cooking prep easier. Such as grilled bread. We buy a loaf of the sliced Portuguese bread baked in nearby Bridgeport, from the Madison or Pombal bakeries. At home, melt some butter in a small saucepan and combine with olive oil, at my roll-under range top. Brush this mixture on the aforementioned bread, both sides, and place on the grill on the upper setting over a charcoal fire (both sides, again). This makes a great appetizer. You can also prep a Gorgonzola salad dressing in the kitchen. You can marinade the chicken , pork or beef with Ken's Steak House Italian Dressing (a local New England brand), and this tastes good when grilled. I enjoy having an accessible kitchen, I really do relax when prepping and cooking food...

6 comments:

Joan said...

It's great that you were able to reconfigure your kitchen to allow you to enjoy one of your hobbies...cooking! F.O. and I certainly know how to pick our men correctly...mine also is a great cook and enjoys it so much more than I do. Lucky us!

Michael C said...

Man, you guys must eat well!!! I just finished dinner and am hungry again after reading this post. I'm glad you get to enjoy cooking. I'm not much of a cook, just a griller ;-)

Lynn said...

I've gained about 10 pounds from reading your blog! Would love to see a picture of the whole kitchen.

Patti said...

I didn't know you posted last night.
You are getting prolific my dear.

allegra said...

i still don't like celery :)

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

celery is wonderful! i love it! but i secretly think it is fattening! ha ha

smiles, bee