Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Kids Growth Spurt

It is starting to seem a bit different as the kids get older. Kid1 is in college, granted only 49 miles away. On Friday, Kid2 and the high school band are being adjudicated and this includes going to Philadelphia and Six-Flags (NJ). So this is one of the rare times since 1991 when at least one kid was at home when we were. So I guess we ought to prepare for the day when it will be the Captain, F.O. and the Humphrey the cat for 8 months of the year in our abode. Kid2 is ending his junior year...

When they were babies, they needed you for survival, but as they get older they need you more than ever for support, guidance, wisdom (and the occasional $) I think we have provided them with a set of values, and think that they have learned well. It is not sad, but different. I have an idea of how my parents felt when I was in college (1973-1977). In those days, there were no computers for e-mail or IM, cell phones or prepaid phone cards for quick phone calls home. Also, I was about 550 miles from home, and high regulated air fares from Pittsburgh to Hartford, I couldn't fly home for long weekends. I guess that I didn't contact my parents enough as they always implored me to write home! Kid1 is often talking to Patti almost every day, so communications are good...Kid2 will be as good about this I think. It will be different when the crew consists of the 3 I've mentioned...

5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

i chuckles at the "occasional $" part! just wait, that will get lots worse before it gets better i'm afraid. and i have experience here my friend. sadly our youngest still cannot seem to "find his way" at 37 years old. i do not wish that on you. or anyone. but i'll save that for another day or you can read archives about his addictions. good luck and it's great that that phone home!

smiles, bee

Joan said...

There's the duality of the "empty nest syndrome." Part of you will be so happy to finally have privacy and free time while the other part will be sad and lonely. It sounds though that your kids will only be a phone call, email or visit away and that's the perfect situation! And remember...you will still have your F.O. by your side and that's the best!!!

Ralph said...

All true, but as they grow, I remember the past, the cute learning things...I suppose that if they enter the adult world with some values and a sense of right and wrong, that the parenting mission was a success...Well, this weekend we two can go out for dinner alone!

Lynn said...

I'm thinking quiet...peace and quiet and the ability to finish a cohesive thought and carry on a conversation without being interrupted.

Patti said...

that is a lovely thought, Lynn. But I know I will be missing them at the same time.