Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Tour de Detour


There is major work on a major thoroughfare that runs parallel with the street of our domicile, and the detour runs in front of our house. This has been a staple of our existence for the past two months. I'm happy that the main city street is being rebuilt by the state, but the drivers being detoured are really a hassle for us. I often can't back out of the driveway for minutes as school buses, delivery trucks and generally rude suburban drivers pass by, and drive as fast as they did on the main road. I've even been beeped at for having the gall to back out of my driveway. This morning a woman in a white Pathfinder, I think, was going to pass me on the left side of the road as I was backing out...but she stopped in the middle of the road instead. My large vehicle was hard against the opposite side curb, but I couldn't move because of where she stopped. No movements occurred for a couple of minutes. I gave her my best "do you mind, this is my street" look, and eventually she backed up enough for me to move. I was irritated enough to stand on my horn (but no rude gestures!) to make my point, but no matter. Nothing personal, but could you make your detour up Finney Street instead of mine...

6 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm sorry Ralph, didn't you get the memo that says that these idiots driving down your street are far more important that you are? If it makes you feel any better, we have these same idiots out on the West Coast.

Joan said...

I'm beginning to think most all drivers now subscribe to the "it's all about me" philosophy. Hopefully this detour will end sometime soon (or is it too late to be described as "soon?")

Patti said...

I'll weigh in here. Picture the neighborhood kids walking to the bus stop at the same time. With no sidewalks.
We live near four schools and there is a lot of morning traffic. This road work can't be done soon enough.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

oh poor thing! i really do sympathize with you. we live on a private road in podunk and it is a dead end at the top of the mountain. when we bought this house in 1993 there was maybe one car a day, in fact you would get up when you heard it to see who it was! now we have to look before pulling out of the driveway and i don't like it! and it seems someone is always building above us and taking up big equipment. it tears up the road. like i said it is private, meaning we have to pay to fix it! grrr...

have a great day my friend!

smiles, bee

the moose buyer said...

Like Lynn said, their relatives must live here in Southern California. Drivers do seem to be more incosiderate than when I learned to drive my father's covered wagon (KIDDING.. but it was an old 1953 Chevy stick shift).

sari said...

Where I live, it is normal for people to gun it when the light turns yellow. If you actually try to stop, you need to watch out so you're not rear ended by people *behind you* trying to go through the light.

I feel for you. I hope they get the work done soon. For some reason, people get in cars and cease to be pleasant.