Saturday, June 23, 2007

Well it has happened again, another job died. This is of course typical of much of the aerospace themed businesses I have been involved with since college (Pratt&Whitney, Lycoming, and Norden). The place I worked was a contractor to Pratt, but with Pratt slowing down deliveries of castings to us for machining and large quantities not to arrive again for two months, 10 people were axed...I am trying to take the high road here, for I have seen the feast-famine cycle, and things were slow for a while. However, I have learned so much about quoting parts, machine rates and overheads, cost analysis of manufactured parts, etc. Of course, it helps to actually like gas turbine engines and machined parts (I do, I do :>). The high road is to note that I have learned as much as I could in the Sales Administration position I had, there was no more to learn. I want to take my new found knowledge and apply it to something else (the upshot is that I am not driving 57 miles to/from work every with those $65 + fillups every week).


I have rewritten my resume this morning and re posted it on Mosnter.com. Obviously, two things do work against me with some employers, my age and of course the wheelchair. But so what, I have such a good resume, I can get interviews. So we will see.

I am reminded of the song by the Silhouettes Get a Job

Yip yip yip yip yip yip yip yip Mum mum mum mum mum mum Get a Job

A classic song! Well, Saturday Night Fever Grilling is upon us, and a London Broil is currently marinating in Adobo spice, crushed red pepper, and dried Oregano. The matchlight charcoal will be lit shortly, and it is beautiful outside at 74° currently. I am not grilling to forget! It is Saturday, and Ralph's Steak House is Open. And Disco on 107.9 begins at 19:00 hours…

Is a chilled Duff a good patio beer?

9 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

sending all the good thoughts i can your way ralph!

smiles, bee

Michael C said...

Wow, you guys know how to have a good time! Charcoal, steak, disco. Maybe I should move to New England ;-) Sorry about the job though...

We had grilled sesame honey chicken, rice with honey butter, homemade non-alcoholic mint juleps and homemade Ben and Jerry's vanilla-mint ice cream. I'm crying today because all the food is gone ;-)

Patti said...

I gather you guys like a) honey and b) mint.

Sounds good though!

Patti said...

P.S. that was for Michael.

To Bee, thanks from both of us for the good thoughts.
;-)

Lynn said...

I'm sending good thoughts your way in the job hunting department. With your vast knowledge about engines and cars etc...would you consider looking into a job in education? You have a fabulous way of explaining things...I'm thinking, you might be able to impart some of that knowledge to the upcoming generation. You might have to take some classes, but, I've heard, that many classes can be done 'on line'... Just a thought.

Ralph said...

Bee, many thanks for your concern. Because of support from our family and friends we know that we can weather anything.

Michael, mint juleps? Did you crush the mint leanes and shave the ice, or did you use a mint syrup? Excellent job with the honey and rice and the chicken! Guys canlearn a lot about grilling from other guys :>)

Lynn, you are so right. It is probably time to consider other things, although I do like manufacturing as a rule. You know, societal viiews of people in wheelchairs can be a bit harsh - not everyone, probably not even a majority. But a change needs to be in order for me...I am reasonably intelligent, good communications ank knowledgeable about lots of things. I appreciate the thought :>)

the moose buyer said...

Ralph, I know how tough it is for you right now. Ironically, my brother whom I just spent the week with also works for Pratt and Whitney in Columbus Ga.

Keep thinking good thoughts and hopefully you will find an even better job. My prayers are with you.

sari said...

Best wishes, Ralph! I'm glad you're in good spirits - the barbeque and disco music sound like a great relaxing night to me.

Joan said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your layoff. Keep your great attitude and hopefully something better will come along very soon. You're in my thoughts!