Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Gratuitous Airplane Stuff

Everyone knows that I like planes, flying, aviation, etc. I am adding this (maybe) unnecessary yet really cool shot of two flat tires on United that blew upon landing at Minneapolis in 1983. Happily, I had my Pentax K1000 in my carry on. The right side tires are flat, hence the plane was leaning starboard...


I think that what's the bigger issue post 9/11 is that I could take a picture while on the tarmac then, but now would probably be totally verboten today...Security, you know. I like airliners, but you can't be this close to real planes very often, and it must be chronicled...

5 comments:

Lynn said...

You mean the plane landed with flat tires??? Were there sparks, fire personnel closed by??? Was it newsworthy back in 1983?

Ralph said...

Not newsworthy...the tires went flat after touchdown. I don't think that is is that uncommon. What I remember is just like a flat tire on your car, thump-thump, but a little more pronounced because the 737 was travelling over 100 MPH probably...They sent a couple of busses out, we got off the plane and I snapped the pic...I have an airplane flat tire story thst occurred on our honeymoon, but I should get clearance from the F.O. before I post :>)

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

you certainly can't!

smiles, bee

Joan said...

Wow...good thing you didnt post this photo before my trip to Ireland. I have to say that our flights were much better than I anticipated...just a wee bit of turbulence coming home. I'm thinking my fear of flying is lessening and that's a very good thing!

the moose buyer said...

Heck Ralph, everything is so tight at the airports now days, you can't even meet someone up at the gates, only downstairs which I completely understand.

I am sure grateful my plane rides last week were only late. Once in the air, all was calm (well except for the fish).