Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Labels

I was reading on Empress Bee's site about the negative opinions that snobs have regarding Rednecks. I think about labels because I don't care for them, as I think that mis-applied terms applied to anyone sort of diminishes them....As someone who uses a wheelchair, maybe I am more sensitive to being judged on the externals. With the chair, it is what I can't do as opposed to what I can do (I can't walk, but I can think, speak and write reasonably well). Much as Bee noted, Redneck is not used as a term of endearment to many people, but really closer to an insult. When I was a kid, a common insult was to refer to someone who was slower as a retard, a terrible insult...

I am as far from PC as you'll find, but labels designed to diminish and put down an individual or group are just plain wrong. Really it is the difference between right and wrong, not PC. Because of my disabilities and other disabled persons, I see how society can really devalue some group by labels.

4 comments:

Michael C said...

I agree labels are bad, but I do aspire to become a redneck, really. I view it in a good way ;-)

Lynn said...

I think that people often label and put-down others, because they don't understand them and therefore feel somehow threatened by them. I see it at the schools that I work at, when general ed. kids make fun of the special education kids...because the General Ed. kids don't really know the Special Ed. kids and so they act mean just to hid their own insecurities. I guess adults are the same way.

Patti said...

Now I feel bad calling you Homer, Ralph, because we all know the size of his brain.
It's a disparaging label I've given you and I'll stop immediately.


Or maybe not..

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

well i love me a redneck anyway! ha ha ha... you are a great guy ralph! you really are... thanks. great post.

smiles, bee