Sunday, June 10, 2007

Living In The Past


No, not the Jethro Tull song ("Oh, we won’t give in, We’ll keep living in the past"), but I have been archiving again and found a few gems for living in the past. My big sister Michele is giving me a kiss...awwww! Michele is really a wonderful person, and this may be where it started.
To the right, If I ever said anything untoward about the outfits that Phil and Marty wore for their photo that I wrote about in April, I take it back...check out my 1961 Easter outfit if you dare! The only difference in dorkiness between is the fact that I am wearing a sea captain's hat (sort of), and Phil and Marty were were the vaudeville straw hats. I think that my grandparents must have taken me to Alexanders (the Bayside girls might remember that store). Michele is dressed in faux fur, and it looks like Claudia's hat has ribbons on the back.
I'm in 3rd grade here, 1964. I have a sort of cool look in my Columbia single-speed, 24" wheel bike, the houses were still new (no landscaping yet) , and neighbor kids are jumping rope. What a different era. Of course, I'll offer gratuitous car notes for you non gearheads. Far back is the family VW Microbus, with the giant VW emblem in the front. My dad was ahe
ad of the curve, as we drove the original minivan. Behind the jumpropers was our old SIMCA (a junk French car), and the old Rambler American next door...
I'm in 12th grade, and check me out...shoulder length hair, a Marine jacket and much less weight (only 145 then, and I could eat anything I wanted at no cost...until I was introduced to beer in college, but that's yet another story). Alwa
ys fought with Dad about my hair, but that was 1973 for you.
There was a time in the 1970's when plaid was the fashion statement in men's wear. Really (as Dave Barry always said, "I am not making this up") and now we have the proof...Grandpa loved plaid, and bought me the jacket because he liked it. Here we are. When going into the past, I have pictures of college fraternity brothers in plaid everything, including three-piece suits in plaid! Unreal, but like I said, I have the proof...

6 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

great shots! and in the 12th grade i weighed 93! sigh... (hey! i heard that thought! watch it buster!) ha ha

smiles, bee

Lynn said...

Those were the days!...As one of the Bayside girls...I definitely remember Alexanders! Gee, I haven't thought of that store in a long, long time.

Patti said...

Ralphie, it's time for you to get back to the future.

We're in the 21st century now, my dearest.

sari said...

It is the future, but I still always enjoy looking at old photos and the "what was I thinking" looks.

Joan said...

Pump that memory of mine...I absolutely remember Alexander's. Oh, and you'll be happy to know that plaid (in the form of madras prints) are now back in vogue so you might want to pull out that jacket of yours.

Rhea said...

I like old pictures. When I was a kid my dad owned a store that offered photo processing. When folks didn't pick up their photos we'd look through them. Hey, these look familiar!