Tuesday, June 5, 2007

So-called Security

I saw another field worker at my local Social Security office in an effort to try to settle the issues I've had with my overpayment situation. I am aware that I have been overpaid, but have had for the past year nothing but grief from SSA about how much I actually owe them. It would take hours and too much bandwidth to fully explain this seven (that's right, 7) year saga dealing with them. I have been working with a clueless person with copious amounts of ineptitude...I have appealed the SSA decision twice, and in my meeting today, the appeal is going forward, I guess. The local field service representative assigned to you can help alleviate the worst of your problems or ensure that you will have endless amounts of problems...I have learned that all of these cases are decided at headquarters in Baltimore, but the correct prep work by the local person can help, I'm sure. The new person seems sharper than the dope (you heard me right, I said dope) I had to deal with. I have been told that a decision should be made in 60 days, although my particular issues began in the year 2000! Hope springs eternal I've been told...

5 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

oh ralph this is dreadful news to me! i am very familiar with that so called office in baltimore. i am from baltimore and have been there. there are rows of (illerate) people filing their fingernails and talking on the phones. they are dumb as dirt. i swear. honey i think you need an attorney that specializes in this type of problem and there are plenty of them out there. oh, and all these ss workers are paid from ss funds. good luck! i am afraid you will need it!

smiles and best wishes, bee

Patti said...

thank you, Bee for your kind words.
The attorney we consulted has only been successful in getting people on Social Security disability ... I guess it can be difficult for some.
We may have to get another one, if our elected representative is unable to help.

Joan said...

I am so sorry to hear this saga marches on with no end in sight. It's shameful that federal employees make it so hard on this nation's citizens...there is no excuse for this continuing ineptitude. It's what gives all public employees a bad name! I wish you only luck as you continue your fight against the bureaucracy known as the SSA.

Ralph said...

Bee, I’ll wait and see how this works this time before seeing if we really need an attorney. I think that this local SSA Rep is far more competent than the last one. I hope to know by September…now we can concentrate on vacation planning!

Joan, I hate to view people in a stereotypical way, so I’d prefer not to single out public employees for criticism…however for at least one of these, the shoe fits, even a 9 ultra-narrow :>)

the moose buyer said...

In two years, I will be ready to retire and start dealing with social security issues. Boy I just can't wait to retire but I am sure not looking forward to dealing with the Federal Government.