Thursday, June 7, 2007

Springtime

Tonight, all of us are going to Kid2's spring concert at the High School. He will be pounding the maillots on the marimba. we enjoy these things, and think that Kid1, although in her college pep band, misses these events as well. We have always enjoyed all school events with our offspring, and look forward to Kid2's other musical events, playing At this year's graduation, the piano recital this year and next and the Christmas, early spring and late spring concerts. We are happy that our kids have an appreciation and enjoyment of music.

Kid1 planted the tomatoes in the pots yesterday. These are the Jet star variety, a medium sized, round hybrid that will taste great in my favorite summer salad, written about more than once by me I'm sure. The cayenne peppers were planted as well, and when ripe, I will seed them, dry them in the sun, and grind up for Mucho Caliente heat in chili, etc. Finally, the basil, oregano and rosemary are potted as well. Some plant food, water and a sunny exposure all day long will, as always, be a success. 90 Deg tomorrow and sunny, perhaps London Broil on the grill, marinated with fresh limes and oil? (A grocery run, perhaps, my dearest?)

11 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

what time is dinner? all that planting made me hungry! ha ha

sounds like a wonderful garden!

smiles, bee

Lynn said...

School events are certainly times to cherish...they pass all too quickly!

I wish I knew something about gardening so that I could grow my own tomatoes. There's nothing like home grown tomatoes!

the moose buyer said...

Boy all that stuff sounds good and actually since my stomach bypass, the tomatoes are great but I cannot handle the hot stuff.

Lynn, where would you grow those tomatoes?? Planting them in the front yard would really look cheesy in your neighborhood, and Amber would trash them when she went out back.

Patti said...

I've already gone to the grocery store, my dearest (imagine sarcastic tone here)

Ralph said...

sarcastic, my dear? Never!!!

Ralph said...

Lynn, we use 5 gallon buckets (contractor sized paint bucket size)with plenty of drain holes on the bottom. As a bonus, I can reach these much easier than if they were in the ground

Patti said...

start weeding, my dearest

sari said...

What kind of soil do you use for those when you put them in pots? Do you just get a bag of miracle grow or whatever from Home Depot, or is there something special to use?

I don't have much luck with plants, any tips will help.

Ralph said...

Sari, It all started with a friend of mine who lives in Manchester, CT and as a resident, was able to get the beautiful black mulch at that town's landfill (at $1 per container). This was a few years ago, but we have added cheap potting soil, from Big! Lots, etc and add Miracle Gro or plant spikes. In the desert, the pots might work as far as water is needed, and tomatoes do not have a deep root structure, so pots work okay.

Michael C said...

How did it go? London Broil with fresh limes and oil? I have to try that! I finally perfected my dry rub tonight -- honey powder, sugar, season salts, garlic pepper, salt and pepper ;-)

Ralph said...

The steak was fine, we actually had a small piece we cut up for the next morning's omlette...I never heard of honey powder, but I'm the only one in the house that actually likes honey straight up, adding to salad dressings and my Wheaties as well...