Saturday, July 28, 2007

Back from camp

I returned from taking Kid1 to church camp - she will be an assistant counselor for the week (see Patti's earlier post). The camp, Silver Lake is run by the UCC and is in bucolic Sharon, CT, the upper left corner of the third smallest state. We are happy that both kids enjoy being part of this, considering the things other older kids may be into (no explanation needed!). We drop Kid2 off there tomorrow.

This part of CT is really beautiful, being nestled in the foothills of the Berkshires. The 'over hill, over dale imcludes climbing into and out of two substantially hilly river valleys (Naugatuck and Housatonic). There is a preponderance of two kinds of farms, dairy moo-cows and horses. The farms are stunning. The whole area is a beautiful, albeit isolated area. Towns like Canaan, Salisbury and Norfolk are attractive with nice restaurants, Bed & Breakfasts, etc. Nice places. Someday, I'd like to find a charming whelchair accessible B&B to stay at...

6 comments:

Linda said...

My son Michael went to this very camp years ago when we belonged to Westminster Congregational Church in Canterbury. It's the only time I've ever been to that part of Connecticut but I've always wanted to go back and check things out a little more.

Litchfield County was beautiful as I recall when we drove through it.

Mimi Lenox said...

Sounds like a lovely area. Maybe I'll pass through again one day and get to see more of your beautiful state.

Getting kids back and forth to camp is hard work but so worth it. Hope they had a great time!

Lynn said...

It sounds idyllic, and also like a place that my family might want to visit someday.

Joan said...

It sounds like the perfect area to spend at least part of the summer. Perhaps Hubby and I will have that opportunity some day...[sigh...].

Patti said...

Ladies: We'd love for you to visit our state someday. Just give me a heads up so I have time to dust. ;-)

Skittles said...

It sounds lovely!!!! Me and hubby were near there a couple weeks ago. :)