Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Everybody falls in tag somehow...

I have been tagged by the lovely First Officer/Co-Pilot, a meme to include our date of birth and to find three events, two births and a holiday that happened on that date, in my case April 26, 1955 (you could have extrapolated that date from my State of CT Majority card in my last post without this revelation...), I added deaths as well. Let's try:

Births:
1955: Mike Scott (same day) pitcher extraordinaire for the Houston Astros. My memories include the 1986 NL playoffs. If the Astros beat the Mets in game 6, they never would have beaten Scott in Game 7. And my RedSox might have not been star crossed in their Game 6 with the Astros instead of the Mets...

1822: Frederick Law Olmsted, designer of many parks, two of his most famous being Central Park in Manhattan and Prospect Park in Brooklyn.


Died:
1984: 'Count' Basie. Jazz big bandleader and composer. Wrote one of my favorite swing era classics, the One O'clock Jump, as well as April in Paris (pour mon amie)


1973: Irene Ryan, the irascible Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies. As for her recipies, I'll pass on the squirrel and possum, but wouldn't mind sampling the wares of her famous jug. I can't say if it is moonshine or an octane booster, remember the drag race that the Clampett's truck won after Granny put some of the contents of the jug into the gas tank?

Holiday:
Confederate Memorial Day in Florida and Georgia (Empress Bee take note).

Events:
1986: Chernobyl nuclear power plant exploded and released a radioactive cloud over the Ukraine. Actually, that event actually happened on 4/25 in CT, given the seven hour time difference...

1564: William Shakespeare, aka 'The Bard' was baptized in Stratford-upon-Avon, England.

1865: John Wilkes Booth is cornered and killed by Federal troops.

Merci, mon amie. I love the research!

9 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

duly noted holiday, marking my calendar....

smiles, bee

Patti said...

Now that is an important one, Bee.

Joan said...

Wow...Frederick Olmsted. My grandfather used to take us to Prospect Park when we were growing up and it's the place I learned how to "pump" myself on a swing so I owe Mr. Olmsted a huge debt of gratitude. Lucky you to share a birthday with such a great man!!!

Lynn said...

Maybe you and Mike Scott were switched at birth, and you were really supposed to be the 'pitcher extraordinaire' and he was supposed to be you.
p.s. I don't think that your lovely first officer gave you an award...so I did:~)

Patti said...

Congratulations Ralph. Display your award proudly.

knicksgrl0917 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Curmudgeon said...

Now "April in Paris" will be in my head all day.

"One more time..."

the moose buyer said...

See Ralph, that's another thing I have no idea how to do. I am finally figuring out that I am still living in the 70's. I have got to get my cousins to drag me into this century.

Linda said...

Granny Clampett died in 1973? Really? Wow, seems like it should have been 1983 or something!

During your research did you happen to find out if the date of Confederate Memorial Day in Florida and Georgia was in any way connected to the death of John Wilkes Booth?