Monday, July 16, 2007

Everything old...

Last week I changed my profile picture for a day, and used the one from the ID card on the right. Due to the low quality of the scanned picture, I had to remove it. Lynn had wondered if this was my graduation picture. It was taken almost two months before my graduation from George J.Penney HS in East Hartford (a perfectly middle of the road class rank: 258 out of 422). The ID in question was known simply as a 'Majority' card, which you obtained to purchase beer, etc. legally in this state at age 18 (the legal age starting from Oct '72 to 1984). I went to a Woolworth photo booth, you remember those? I used that one for the picture. I look like a long hair sourpuss in this photo...and my hair was of a reasonable length to most people, except my father, who wore a crew cut and argued with me about my long hair. I won the battle, but lost the war (this hair didn't look so good after all). But the card is crumbling, and I wanted to scan it for the sake of history. The real graduation picture is to the left, and it was taken about 10 months earlier in 1972. The hair then was pleasantly 'mod' in length and style, and it was a razor cut that cost a whopping $5 in those days. The tie hadn't yet graduated to the clown width prevalent in the mid 70's. And that is a real jacket, not a leisure suit (I never owned one of those!). And of course, I smiled a bit. I am not a sourpuss in the official photo!

6 comments:

Lynn said...

You look very typical teenager in that ID picture. Thanks for explaining it to me...Isn't it amazing that long hair on guys is now in style, again.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

sarge actually HAD a leisure suit! ha ha...

smiles, bee

Joan said...

Your high school graduation photo is soooo much more attractive than that mugshot looking ID photo! We won't talk about MY high school portrait. No siree...you wont see it ever on my blog...it's too scary!!!

Linda said...

This gives me the thought to perhaps post my own high school photo someday (hmm, could this be the basis for a new meme in the Blogosphere?) as I think I actually looked pretty good way back in 1976 - especially compared to now!

I never had an Identity Card as I went into the military before I was of legal age to drink here in Connecticut and, as I remember, the driver's licenses didn't have pictures in the 70's. Little green pieces of paper were just about all they were.

As for the leisure suit, I had a guy show up for a date once wearing a white leisure suit with brown shoes ... oh boy.

Odat said...

LOL...I was a hippie too!
Peace

sari said...

I love looking at high school photos, I'll have to drag mine out. I think I've actually posted it on my blog before, I'll have to look.

Mine was from the 80's - big, curly hair and probably most of a stick of eyeliner, ha ha!