Saturday, July 14, 2007

Gorilla My Dreams

Or is it Grille of My Dreams? (Actually, the title is from one of my favorite Bugs Bunny Looney Tunes). We do enjoy our patio, and we did some grilling recently on a remarkably beautiful late afternoon (80° F) with very low humidity. Reminds me of my favorite Christmas poem (with apologies to Clement Clarke Moore):


"The patio was washed down with care,
with the hopes that Grille Man would soon be there"

So Kid2 and I purchased a new charcoal grill at Ocean State Job Lot (the regional equivalent to Big! Lots). It was only $35, and the closest to a Weber kettle grill that I can handle - the Weber doesn't have a hinged lid, and is too heavy for me to lift. The new one has the hinges, so I can operate the lid from my wheelchair.

I made pork marinated in limes. I used a pork tenderloin sliced into 6 pieces, marinated in lime juice, crushed red pepper, fresh garden basil and Rosemary and peppercorns. Later the grille was prepared and I worked with the grilled Portuguese bread prior to cooking the pork. The pork is in process, and the already grilled bread on the plate has just the right amount of char, as it was coated with an olive oil/butter mixture first. It's foolproof.

Of course, the meal was really good because all four of us were there. Enjoying a meal together is really the best. We are going to cook chicken on the grill tomorrow, and I am looking forward to it, as Patti has purchased for me a new basting brush she picked up from Big! Lots today. I will get a picture of the 67¢ brush tomorrow. In fact, summer closeouts are happening now, so maybe more grill accessories will be in our possession soon...

4 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

oh hurry and post the photo of the brush! what fun! and ralph, i did not get my invitation to dinner, i just wanted you to know why i didn't show up. in case you were wondering. or anything. the end.

smiles, bee

Patti said...

so who is the gorilla your dreams?

Joan said...

First song lyrics, now a poem. Who knew of your great creative talents?!?!? Of course, we already knew what a great cook/griller you are and your photos only go to prove it! Yum!!!

the moose buyer said...

I absolutely love Bug's bunny's cartoons when they play on words (also the ones where they make fun of opera) and I am so happy that someone else remembers them too.

Food looks great and I will be over as soon as I can eat bar-b-que again!!