Saturday, July 7, 2007

It was just my imagination running away with me??

I have this thing about hearing songs that remind me of a previous era in my life. I heard a couple today that remind be of a Place named Steubenville, Ohio...really. I have told my family that this city is not some mythical far away place like Shangri-La, but it's real, Kid1. Now I heard two songs from my college days today, both very different in style, both within 5 minutes of each other. Both part of my freshman year at Franciscan University. First, does anyone remember Mott the Hoople? I heard All the Young Dudes: "All the young dudes carry the news..." Written by David Bowie, I haven't a clue what the lyrics really mean. Catchy tune and I like the song but this song reminds me more of my College Daze.

"Oh, I'd like to know where you got the notion...” which is of course Rock the Boat by the Hues Corporation, same year, same place. Catchy tune and a dance beat, and not nearly as obtuse as Mott the Hoople. Lots of other songs I relate to my freshman year of 1973-1974, including Band on the Run (one of McCartney's best albums) and We're an American Band. Actually, I run into these songs and many older oldies on our favorite 102.9 almost as often now as then!


Okay, back to Steubenville. Kid1 thinks the place is not real. It sounds like my imagination is on the loose. I try the facts... It is on US 22, 39 miles west of Heinz Field, the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers, 29 miles from the Pittsburgh airport. Then I try the songs argument: "I know the place exists because I heard that song! I guess that we are going to have to take that 10-hour drive to prove my point. In addition, Patti has seen the place, although she might not admit it...Although, the attached graphic might (should?) be proof enough for Kid1...And Follansbee is a real place, too!

6 comments:

the moose buyer said...

I know Stuebenville. One of my former bosses was from there. She and I would bet on the Ohio State and USC Rosebowl football games every year.

She once asked me if I knew what a buckeye was (I actually did) and I responded "yeah they lose at the Rose Bowl sometimes". We both had a good laugh over that!

Patti said...

I still can't believe I've been there after hearing about it for so many years.
But I was, and it was.......interesting.

Joan said...

I've heard of Steubenville although, sadly, I've never been to the Midwest. Perhaps someday...

Lynn said...

Helllo...has no one heard of photoshopping a picture... Ralph..I side with kid 1...I think it's a figment of everyone's imagination;~D

sari said...

All good songs!! I always try to point out songs I liked to my kids. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Michael C said...

Those are great songs! You know who else came from Steubenville, right?

Yep, Dean Martin!!