Thursday, July 26, 2007

Jobless in Ansonia

Tomorrow is the fourth week since my layoff. In the interim, I have done the modern job hunt by e-mailing resumes, but have decided that it is time to have an attractive paper resume (the way it was done ten years ago). So tomorrow, I am taking my digital resume to Fedex-Kinkos and have nice copies printed. I don't have a great network, but someone else in this home knows many more people, and has quite a network of her own...Right? I will work in a more serious manner next week. But more importantly, an old friend I haven't seen for quite a while is stopping by tomorrow. He is bringing fresh cucumbers and jalapeƱo peppers from his garden. Therefore, more of the job hunt next week while I burn some meat, beef I think, over a charcoal fire tomorrow. Cold brews and reminiscing might a bit more important at the moment ("A Victim of Circumstance" to quote Curly Howard)

8 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

it will happen when it is right, hang in there... sending good vibes to you.

smiles, bee

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

R,
If you don't mind, I will share my formula (I was laid off at the age of 50+ but got work). Do one thing every day to find work. Networking is the key, the only key. Meet people for lunch, people from old jobs, people you know through other people, etc. Chat with them. Do not give a resume. Just find out what they're up to, etc. Be positive. At the end of luch, just ask for one thing: the names of two other people this person can put you in touch with. If you prefer, give the lunchmate a one-page sheet with bullet items of the benefits you can offer. Benefits, not attributes. I got these ideas from a book in the library.Use the library. Use the viral properties of blogging. (Hey, do you know the Stankos in Ansonia? Distant cousins.)

Patti said...

Hi PK: I know a detective with that name...through my job, not because of being booked or anything.

the moose buyer said...

Don't know what kind of job you are looking for but if it's purchasing, try connecting with the purchasing association in you area. It's either NAPM (national assoc of purchasing managers) or ISN (They changed the name about 3 years ago).

I was president of our local affiliation 7 years ago and while I haven't had to use the association to look for a job, the networking is worth everything.

I am sure you will find something worthy of your talents very soon.

Lynn said...

I can't imagine having to be out there looking for a job. I put it in the same category as being out in the dating pool again. yuck. I will continue to send "positive getting a job that you love" thoughts your way.

Joan said...

Job hunting is never fun and sometimes requires a lot of creativity. I think printed resumes still have a place in corporate America particularly when you're trying to network. Meanwhile, enjoy your dinner with your friend and happy grilling.

Patti said...

Joan: they are grilling right now :~)

Odat said...

Best wishes in your job hunt.....and I just LOVE jalapeno peppers!
Peace