Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Pick Yer Poison!


Lynn had channelled both Patti and Myself regarding food recently. I had replied that you can prepare elegant yet easy recipes. On the left is the shrimp-n-pasta that is made with canned chicken broth, canned diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, onions and defrosted medium shrimp. Over angel hair, the prep and cook time is not more than 25 minutes. That's it! On the right is a steak salad...sirloin tips covered with a peppercorn rub, cooked in a skillet and added to the lettuce..add what you want! In Feb, and it was frrrezing outside, but this summer salad had mushrooms, sliced banana peppers from a jar, grape tomatoes and a sharp Gorgonzola cheese. And the obligatory (but I never get tired of it!) local Portuguese bread. Total time? 20 minutes at the outside.

I only talk about this because good food is easy. And if you don't want meat or fish, use all the vegetables you want: fresh green beans, Garbanzos, zucchini, whatever. And we aren't anal gourmands...when I made my first steak salad in 2001, (insert hushed tones) I...used...a...bottled dressing...Horrors!!! (Cains Peppercorn Parmesan from Boston was the offender). I grew up as part of a family of seven kids and two adults, and my mother couldn't spend all day cooking (except for Thanksgiving) and made Chili and many soups that did not take much prep time...and were excellent!

Am I a gourmand? No, but what is the best thing about eating with your family and/or friends? You linger over the food, you talk, you laugh, you enjoy your dinner mates. There are no bad meals...not with those you like to be with!

7 comments:

empress bee (of the high sea) said...

wonderful post my friend! just wonderful!

smiles, bee

the moose buyer said...

Really good food are things I miss now that I had the bypass. Steak used to be a favorite...sigh...

Obviously my weight gain was not based on good food. Right now, I keep waiting the the Kentucky Colonel to send me the letter asking where I have been the past year!!!

Patti said...

What are you allowed to eat these days?

Lynn said...

O.K....you are right...a good meal can be prepared in a short amount of time...IF (and if is the operative word here) and only if you have already purchased all of the ingredients. Oh BYW, a friend of my gave me a tomato plant in a big pot (I thought of you). We put the pot in back...and already have one red ripe tomato...I can hardly wait to eat it:~)

Joan said...

You can cook for me any old time...I may not be a gourmand but I sure know what I like to eat!!! Happy cooking!

the moose buyer said...

patti - I can eat chicken (white meat but no deep fried), Shrimp, fish (sashimi - no white rice - expands like popcorn and hurts) ALL veggies - been craving tomatoes for the past 6 months but don't know why and neither does doctor), not a lot of things with flour or sugar so no cakes or pies for my former fav brownies. I am not hungry most of the time. I do drink a lot of water though.

Patti said...

Moosie: That must be a difficult diet!