Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The great outdoors

I enjoy the time of year that it is not an ordeal to go outside, ie: no coats, scarves, hats, etc. Any season but winter works for me.

To the right is a favorite pic of ours. It was taken sans knowledge of us. We were at the soccer field at the Ansonia Nature Center to watch Kid2 when he played. It was one of those wonderful mid-October days, one of the last of the year with the sun beginning its Southern exposure, about 75 degrees and the foliage at its peak in Southern New England. The best part of this artistic shot is that it shows both of us together without revealing too much, or too little. On a nice day in a nice location.


But of course, the kids, especially when they are young, don't necessarily complain about the heat, they actually do something about it. Like play in the sprinkler and cool down fast. They are cute at this age (six and four), and look like then, as they are now, the best of friends. No sibling rivalry here. And they are so cute wrapped in that beach towel. I'd love to go under the sprinkler, but my 24 volt ride might object to the bath...


A couple of decades ago, I visited relatives in northern Minnesota, and was attracted to Lake Itasca, about 25 miles north of Great Stony Lake where I was. This lake, to the left, is the source of the mighty Mississippi River, which is flowing to the right. I did walk in those days, and I did across the Mississippi. Watch out for the mosquitoes, which are huge and plentiful (the joke being that the mosquito is the state bird) It is a gorgeous state, 13000 lakes, but winter might be a bit tough...

7 comments:

AndreAnna said...

The kids are cute!!

I don't do cold either. No sireee.

Even NJ is too cold but I can't leave my family.

Linda said...

That first picture is very nice and was taken at my very favorite time of the year from your description. I know that a lot of people don't like Autumn as it singles the end of summer and the oncoming of winter but it's just such a great season! Crisp temperatures, pumpkins, apples, leaves that turn glorious colors ... how could you not love it?

As for winter ... uhm, yeah ... could do without it and be perfectly happy! Sometimes I wonder why I live in New England but it's where the family is and so here I stay.

Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by my friend's blog and leave her a message. She has received them and is a bit overwhelmed at the caring that comes from people who don't know her at all but she is also very touched, as I knew she would be.

I truly believe that there is strength in numbers and I thank you for being one of those numbers!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

wow, i always thought the mosquito was florida's state bird! and mold the state flower! nice post!!

smiles, bee

Lynn said...

If you prefer 'mild' winters...why are you nutmeggers? I hate mosquitoes...and unfortunately, they love me. sigh

Ralph said...

Lyn, the house is set up for the wheelchair, and Patti's mom is 4.8 miles away, so we stay. It isn't that bad in CT in the winter, at least compared to MN, WI, ND, etc. Of course in SoCal, you are near the ocean and mountains. Nice choices...

Shelby said...

enjoyed reading thru your blog this morning... came here via Mr. Curmudgeon's link for your lucky number that came up on his site meter :)

take care and happy day!

Joan said...

Thanks you so so much for the photos. It's hot and steamy here this morning so viewing pictures like these helps me pretend it's cool. And BTW...one of the good things about living here in SoCal is that there are generally few if any mosquitos...yeah!!!