Saturday, August 11, 2007

Miscellany

A few things going on lately. Saw The Simpsons Movie today with Patti, Kid1, Kid2 and Patti's mom. I liked the movie, it was a loopy as the TV show (try the multi-eye large pink squirrel, for example). I think that the fictional Ranier Wolfcastle would have been the better president...I have the SpiderPig song in my head, and the movie ended eight hours ago. I tried the Simpsonizeme site, and after 45 minutes found me amongst all the possibilities. The sunglasses and Hawaiian shirt fit me well, except there was no wheelchair in the accessories. I say 'nay' to a sequel...

I have been working on my final rebuttal to the Social Security Administration. They are awful, but I have been 'efforting' (made up verb that the news media love to use) to gather all the paperwork to buttress my arguments. I hope to put this issue to bed by Mid-September. I have said before that my aim is not to trash government workers as a group, but SSA has the worse workers that I have seen, and I'm including the CT Motor Vehicle employees in this. Without descending into sanctimony too deeply, I am feeling pretty good about my chances in this fight...

Since I have been going through old paperwork, I decided that it was time to purchase a shredder from Staples to get rid of old and unneeded documents. It is almost therapeutic to eliminate old credit card statements just like that, and only for $15 after the rebate. Now imagine eliminating your personal debt as easily (like the Staples tagline: 'Now that was Easy')...


And today we tried to use the shreddings as a charcoal fire starter.They can help start the fire, but they didn't work well, and it took quite a while to get the fire as you see in the picture. The ultimate fire had to bring the coals to at least 600 deg F, which cooked the meat perfectly. The victim today was a London Broil marinated in limes and jalapeƱo peppers...Still, it has been a pretty good week, some angst (SSA) but more pleasure (the Simpsons and family sharing meals together). Life is good...

10 comments:

AndreAnna said...

Sorry to hear about your fights with the SSA, but I'm glad you keep your spirits high!

I just can't get into the Simpsons. I'll understand if you defriend me now. lol.

Patti said...

Ralphie, you continue to reveal all of our secrets...sigh

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

(patti sarge revels everything too! but those guys cook pretty good i must say! now if we could just get them to make cake!)

hi ralph, sorry i was talking to patti for awhile! could not agree more on ssa workers. i think i have told you in the past about the place in baltimore. here's one i didn't tell you. my mom died about a year and a half ago. i had to GO TO ssa to get her checks stopped. they wanted the death certificate, ok, then they wanted the birth certificate, ummm, ok, they the checks still kept coming. it was harder to get them to stop than to get them started. and she was not eligible for the $255 death benefit because my dad died first. and every time i had to go i had to sit in the awful room with all these (illegals?) with crying babies and dirty feet and take a number and wait my turn, it was awful.....
good luck!

smiles, bee

Patti said...

Bee: yes, they do need to learn how to make cake. ;-)

You're right, it is harder to get the checks to stop than to get them started. It's lunacy.

Odat said...

Sounds like a partial perfect day!
Peace

Joan said...

I feel so left out...I've never seen a Simpsons show and only have a rudimentary understanding of what it's all about.

As for your day, a little paperwork, a little shredding and a whole lot of grilling sure does sound like the perfect combination.

the moose buyer said...

I am like Joan in that I too have never seen a Simpson show and I am not even tempted.

Ralph, I sure hope you can beat this SSA fiasco. I have faith that you will win and we can all cheer.

sari said...

Glad to hear your day was good, the steak sounds delicious. I still haven't seen the Simpsons movie yet, but I did simpsonize myself.

Lynn said...

Clearly, this is where Patti and my sisterhood come out...I used to watch the Simpsons all the time. However, DH took Ten and Twelve to see the movie...I passed. Ten came home singing 'Spiderpig' over and over, and over again.

Never thought to use shredded paper as a fire starter...were you a boy scout?

Ralph said...

Cub scout only, Den 3, Pack 67, East Hartford, CT (1964-1966)- paper shreddings aren't good firestarters, they burn up too fast - twigs are best!