Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Motoring things

  1. With my wheelchair comes a big van with a wheelchair lift. This doesn't mean I can't be involved with real guy thing, such as making dump runs. How, you ask? With the lift I can have bulky items loaded easily to drive to the final resting place: an old power chair, a dishwasher and oodles of scrap plywood. Dump runs and guys, a natural. I find amusing that in our town on Saturdays, the landfill closes at 11:45 AM. There is a parade of pickups arriving here at 11:25 or so. I'm sure that these gentleman promised their wives that they would get rid of all this junk today. They of course forgot but remembered at the last possible moment on Saturday ('It's about time' said the significant other...)
  2. Of course, this vehicle is good for picking up stuff as well. We picked up a new desk chair for the lovely Patti. Since we purchased the chair assembled, it was a snap to put it on the lift and into the van. The Staples guy who wheeled it out for us seemed to be impressed as well. His jaw didn't hit the ground exactly, but he was paying attention...
  3. On the TV in the background is all the coverage of the bridge collapse in Minneapolis this afternoon. After watching things like this, twisted metal and crushed cars, it jolts you into not complaining about petty things...

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Sounds to me like you have your own U-haul. (You know the ones that always advertise having a lift.) Glad to hear that your First Officer has a new computer chair...from what she's been saying, she really needed one. As far as the bridge in Minneapolis, that's something I would expect after an earthquake...not for no apparent reason. You are right, it does put things into perspective.

Joan said...

Every time we get a new car, a fleeting thought always crosses my mind that we should consider getting a pickup or SUV or van simply to cart things home from the Big Box stores we frequent. But then I reconsider and we end up with only sedans. I guess that's why we still don't have a big screen TV (and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned).

As for Minneapolis, we were on the phone with Rick's brother after we heard about it because our niece attends the U of Minnesota and we were worried. Although they have not heard from her, they believe she is safe and sound so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

Rhea said...

You're one really mobile guy. Who knew? By the way, I am going to read about that bridge. I just caught a photo of it today on the front page of the Boston Globe.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

nice chair! and we HATE to go to the dump! it stinks! of course they call it the transfer station and not the dump, but trust me, it's a dump!

smiles, bee

Linda said...

You're right - guys and dumps are a natural combination! Especially here on the East Coast where I sometimes think it's a Saturday ritual!

There are times when having a van like yours would be quite handy indeed now that I think about it. Much easier than trying to load stuff into my Mazda!