Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Off Target


Patti invited me to the governor's bill signing yesterday at the Ansonia Tar-Jay (okay, it was open to the public). Governor Rell is a woman of immense charm, and in CT politics, she is a Republican with a veto-proof Democratic majority in the state House and Senate. Yet, they could not override her budget veto. She is really a nice but politically tough grandmother, with a 74% approval rating. However, the most impressive thing about these staged events is how the advance team has everything set up so nothing goes wrong in the half-hour or so she was on the premises. Actually, the most impressive thing I saw was the security detail for the gov. They were two Ct State Police scanning and paying attention to everything. And they were large. And they didn't smile. And they wore earpieces. And their hair was brush-cut military style. And they didn't take their suit jackets off in the 96 degrees on the parking lot. They looked serious, and I'm sure the gov was safe.

I enjoyed watching Patti asking questions among the politicos and business types that were there for the ceremonial signing. The story was on the newspaper's State page (three), but CT is a small state (only RI and DE are smaller) and the Brownfield remediation law is important for development. And I like to see her byline in print...

One word about Target vs. Wal-Mart. As a wheelchair user, Tar-jay is much easier to get around. At Wally World, there are point-of-purchase skids with Cheetos or whatever cluttering so many aisles, it is just hard for me to navigate. There are even ceiling tiles. This place is just more refined and classier. I'm not necessarily a big-box fan, but I went with Kid1 and Kid2 later in the day to IKEA in New Haven. That has to be a fave of mine for a big place. I didn't buy anything, but I could have fun (if money were no object) buying lots of that fantastic Swedish designed furniture and other things. Who said that men don't shop???

6 comments:

AndreAnna said...

OMG! I heart Target. Seriously, I could move in. For like weeks. They'd never find me.

Lynn said...

I just got the IKEA 2007 catalog. Thank goodness it doesn't cost anything to browse the catalog. I know if I went into the store, I would buy stuff, that I like but don't necessarily need.

the moose buyer said...

I really prefer Target to any of the other stores. I have never been in an IKEA store or even seen a catalog. I live a very sheltered life in a small town!!!

Joan said...

You can come shopping with me any ol' time. Tar-jay is one of my favorite stores and I only go to Wal-mart when I absolutely need to...I'm not a WMart fan. Oh...and I just loooove browsing in an Ikea store. I don't go very often but, when I do, I just meander through all the sections going "oooooh" and "aaaaah."

Linda said...

Never been to an IKEA, I believe the closest one is in New Haven and that's a bit far to go somewhere and then not be able to buy anything!

Actually, I don't really like to shop at all (GASP!) but that could be because I'm perpetually broke and how much fun is it to go shopping when you're broke? None I tells ya!

As for our governor, I think she does a dang fine job and I'm glad to hear she's got some good protection when she's out in public.

sari said...

I'm all for Target over Walmart. I think that they treat their employees better and their customers as well.

Sounds like a fun day. It's always interesting to see how things like that are handled, there are so many details that have to be taken care of that most people probably never even think about.