Thursday, August 2, 2007

So-called Security, part deux

I visited the Ansonia Social Security (SSA) office today, and met with the snippy Miss Hardy, the field service rep who is handling my SSA-561-U2 appeal. I met with her on June 5, and I have to work with her, I am afraid.

I am to present an offer that might begin negotiations on what SSA calls a “Compromise Settlement.” Unfortunately, my offer will be based on what I can pay in one shot to settle this. In a compromise settlement, no staggered payments can be offered. So I am prepared to offer only what cash we can. Of course, this is a very small amount of the disputed overpayment amount.

First, though, I have already contacted the constituent services office of our US Rep (CT-2nd), and they have agreed to review the particulars of this battle with SSA. Before I respond to SSA, I expect to meet with the constituent services people. The upshot at this time is that the seven-year problem with SSA will be settled soon, somehow. Moreover, of course, being out of work now changes the dynamic somewhat. SSA is going to have to negotiate with me, and since I am not working, this might alter the equation in my favor.

I am not out to bash all government workers, but SSA employs a majority of idiots. Really. I could not explain this situation without taking up too much bandwidth, but suffice to say, I am far more bullish that the SSA issue will be settled in full in the next 60 days. I am happy for that.

10 comments:

Lynn said...

I think that many government employees are required to leave their common sense and compassion at the door when they are hired.

Lynn said...

I also meant to add...good luck. I'll be rooting for good (you) to triumph over evil (Miss Hardy).

Linda said...

I believe that on the job applications for government positions (State and Federal both) there is a section that asks you to list your nastiest qualities and how long you have been perfecting them. These qualities are apparently what are the most valued at places like the SSA, IRS, DMV, and other agencies that do a lot of public interaction.

Sounds like your Miss Hardy scored high and was hired for her "excellent" customer service skills and compassion towards those less fortunate!

Best of luck in this battle; may you come out on top!

Odat said...

Hope it all works out for you...

Peace

the moose buyer said...

My only true dealings with Federal Gov. workers was while I was going for my American citizenship 20 years ago (I qualified in 1969 but got angry at an impolite worker and tore my application up then tried again in 1987) Unfortunately I can't think of any kind words to describe them. At least they treated me better because I was a Canadian. The Iranians and Vietnamese were treated like dirt.

I will be working on my Social Security retirement in 2 years. I sure hope those workers have a better attitude than the citizenship workers.

Rodrigo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Patti said...

Like the label, Ralph: morons!

Joan said...

At some point, Hubby and I will need to talk to the SSA to determine our eligibility for Medicare (neither of us has enough quarters for Social Security). I wasn't very confident about their ability to figure it all out before I read your Journey Through SSA Hell and now I'm even more sure that my assessment of their abilities is correct. Damn!

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

What a mess? Can you hire one of Archie Bunker's famed Seven Savage Members of a Religious Group to represent you? Didn't Nicolia Gogol or someone write a famous story of a government clerk? Google it. And good luck, friend!

AndreAnna said...

That really doth sucketh. Hope it all works out for you!

If you need, I am an excellent ass kicker and can be called upon in times of dire need with a shadow to the sky in the shape of a donut.