Saturday, August 4, 2007

Weighty issues

I'm thinking about counting calories to better maintain my weight. Actually, cannot really check my weight, as I would need a big floor scale to try to weigh my wheelchair and me. However, I figure that if I keep an honest written record of the daily calorie count of a reasonable number (say, 1700 per day) and keep it up; I can maintain or lose weight. I did this in 2003, and I think I made a difference then. I know that I lost something with the worst effects of the Ulcerative Colitis I had earlier, because people asked if I was losing weight. About three weeks ago, I met a someone I had not seen in about three years, and after talking a bit asked if I had lost weight. Maybe I should be flattered, but it was a heck of a weight loss regimen!

I tried something a bit different to prepare for supper last night. I chopped up two of the fresh bell peppers my friend brought last week, chopped up a large onion, minced one jalapeno and diced up two Idaho potatoes. I cut up three pieces of bacon and cooked the small pieces. When the bacon pieces were finished, the potatoes were sautéed in the bacon fat, then added the peppers and onions, and cooked for a while, added 1/2 cup of white wine, and a bunch of grape tomatoes and simmered for about 1/2 hour. It was served with the crunchy bacon bits. I thought it was good. Okay, can I eat this way more often? It is not vegetarian (bacon, of course) and I did not figure the calories in the servings, but aiming in this direction might be a good way to go…

13 comments:

Skittles said...

That dinner sounds yummy!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

personally ralph i think anything cooked in bacon fat has to be wonderful! pork fat rules!!!

smiles, bee

AndreAnna said...

It sounds yummy! It depends on how many potatoes you used and how much bacon to count the calories.

I think it's great you're doing this!

Joan said...

I think anything done in an attempt to eat more healthy is a good thing. As much as I love bacon and potatoes (yummy, yummy), I'd have to say you need to go easy on these two items if you want to look and feel good.

the moose buyer said...

the meal sounds great and believe me, I know how hard it is to lose weight with or without the wheel chair. I am sure you will keep working to maintain if not lose.

Linda said...

Funny that you should bring up "weighty issues" as I believe that's what I'm going to be posting about later today. I abhor scales but I forced myself to stand on one briefly this morning before screaming in agony and jumping off like my feet were on fire!

Needless to say, I need to do something to lose some weight though it has never ever been easy for me having apparently been born without a metabolism!

Good luck to you and dinner sounds like it was tasty!

Rhea said...

I am trying to lose a little bit of weight. I think the real secret is portion control. Eat most of the things you want, but keep the portions smaller.

Lynn said...

Other than the bacon, this dish sounds yumilicious. I may have to try it(without the bacon). If you're trying to maintain, or gain weight, this sounds great. Definitely not low calorie though. Why do I often feel that I am gaining weight just reading about the delicious/creative food that you cook?

Patti said...

Ralphie: It was very tasty! As I recall we polished it off.

Patti said...

Lynn, we were reading this the same minute!

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Ralph,
More power to you. I've never been able to manage counting calories. That's why I loved the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet, which I did for several years. Essentially it let me binge for one meal for one hour. I did lose weight, though. good luck on it. Any job leads?

Odat said...

Oh wow, that sounds delightful..think I'm going to try that!
Peace

Jaya said...

Mmmmm... that DOES sound tasty! Now, after reading that, I am hungry, and I'm stuck here at work. (Yes, obviously I'm working very hard too, reading blogs, LOL.)