Thursday, September 6, 2007

Government in Action

I am back in my skirmish with my favorite giant government agency, Social Security. I think that my issues with them may be ending this month (if I'm lucky) or just a bit longer than that (if I'm not). I have alluded to this before, but SSA (the three letter swear word for Social Security) claims that I have been overpaid to the tune of a high six-figure amount. I have been attempting for years to get the agency to reduce this overpayment amount to the correct amount, which is much lower. That said, I had contacted the local constituent services office of our US Representative, and asked for their help. Apparently, they had contacted my nemesis, the local SSA office. I received a call last Friday from the rep I last spoke with on Aug. 2...and in our phone call, the snippiness I received in person was gone. She sounded very contrite, almost nice - when will I present my offer for a possible compromise settlement. I thought by next Friday. A few minutes later, I received a call from the Reps office. She was nice, but must have put the fear of the almighty in the SSA office. A comforting thought (for me, not SSA)...

I have prepared a one-time settlement offer. The fun part on this offer it is on page 4 of a four-page letter...pages 1-3 are a reiteration of every screw-up and violation of protocol SSA has engaged in from Feb. 2000 to Aug. 2007. It can be cathartic to be able to slam your nemesis in writing! I cannot run to eliminate stress, but I can let off steam by writing a rebuttal. Patti is the professional writer in these parts, and it sounded very good to her. I even pointed out to them that I attribute my Ulcerative Colitis to them (when you receive an incorrect invoice for a six-figure amount, you get unnerved...my systems were badly out of control...), and the meds to help to fix the problem are $300 per month out-of-pocket. Just thought they should know.

I will deliver my SSA-795 Claimants Statement to SSA tomorrow, about 3:00...why then? It may wreck the weekend of whoever at SSA has to deal with this letter. I will forward copies to my US Rep's office in New Haven via registered mail. If this offer is accepted, I will be very satisfied. The sad thing here is that I can recite SSA forms by heart, especially the SSA-561-U2, SSA-632-BK and the SSA-795 come to mind. I probably know many SSA rules better than the fools who work there. I need to get a life, or a fat Steak-au-Poivre and a fine Bordeaux. Alas, I'd better get a job to afford that:>)

9 comments:

Michael C said...

Wow, go get 'em!!!!!!
Let us know how it turns out. I hope you used really, really small font too.

Joan said...

Good for you!!! Those SSA folk deserve every miserable thing you can do to them and then some for putting you through this hell. And I'm happy to hear that your U.S. Representative's office came through for you and helped fight the battle! That's why he or she was elected in the first place!

Patti said...

Joan, I don't care much for politicos, but you're right, they are supposed to be representing us in D.C.!

Odat said...

I hope it all works out in your favor...you deserve it! (I love your thoughts about giving it to them on Friday..hehe)
Peace

the moose buyer said...

Don't give up Ralph. You know the Government. The minute you show any sign of weakness, they will grab you by the throat. I sure hope you win!!!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

way to go ralph, and i loved michael's idea of a really really small font too! ha ha ha good luck my friend!

smiles, bee

Lynn said...

I was thinking, maybe you can get a job in the local SSA office. I mean, you certainly know protocol and forms better than 99.9 percent of the yo-yo's working there.

Hope it went well today...I'm rooting for you.

Linda said...

I was thinking the exact same thing as Lynn - you need to be hired by these fools so you can show them how to properly run an office! They should be paying you for the hell they've put you through but I've noticed that they have no soul or heart - sort of like the IRS!

Good luck!!

The Curmudgeon said...

Good luck on this.