Friday, September 28, 2007

Home is where the heart is

Though I wasn't been born here, CT is my home state. It's where I spent the greater part of my 52 years, so it is home. I spent much of my youth contemplating a move to somewhere different (Atlanta and Minneapolis were possibilities when I was 22), but I remained in this state. I met my love here, we have raised our children here, some of my family are still in this state.

If opportunity beckons in some other part of the USA, why didn't I move? As the events have unfolded in my life, the reasons for being here include the personal: the kids' grandmother, aka: Gooma, lives 15 minutes away, to the practical/mundane: the house is configured for the wheelchair including the kitchen and bathroom, 36" wide doors everywhere and ramps galore. And I like where we live, the neighborhood is quiet, and the town is okay, despite the political machine that runs the town (and we all know that all political machines perpetuate their existence first, the taxpayers second. But what city/town doesn't have a local government like this?).

So is the grass greener elsewhere? You might think so. One of my sisters and her husband arranged a job transfer from CT to Charlotte a few years ago. Saw a picture of their house, and you hear what they paid for it, you are suitably impressed. Yet, they are coming back to the state next month - I suppose that cheaper real estate might not outweigh the pull of your family. But real estate costs are only a relative indicator of desirability. As expensive as we think the area is, there are far more expensive places: Long Island, DC area, California come to mind. Someone who attends our church has moved here from the Bronx (or is it pronounced Brawnnx, Lynn or Joan?). They think real estate around here is priced quite reasonably. So it's not that.

Is it the weather? I'm not big on winter and snow, but there are colder and snowier places like upstate NY, Minnesota, Montana. Of course there are warmer places like Phoenix and LA. But that isn't it either. I think that people are comfortable with their families, friends and known surroundings. The grass looks greener (not our turf, though), somewhere else, sometimes. Yet this is our home. The other places are for visiting. I've visited parts of 33 states (I'm including a change of planes in Atlanta to cover GA), two provinces of Canada, Bahamas and five European countries. I'll live in CT and when I mint my millions, I'll purchase a wheelchair accessible RV and visit more.

7 comments:

sari said...

It's hard to be away from your family, I can see why you'd stay right where you are. Most of my family is from California (where I'm from) but my husband is from a huge family and the majority of them live in the area, which is why we are here.

AndreAnna said...

Don't forget to add Jersey to that list of ridiculously overpriced places to live!

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

as much as i love podunk georgia, the political machine here in not to be believed!

smiles, bee

Patti said...

please stay here, Homer ;-)

Odat said...

I suppose "home" is whereever we feel the most comfortable. I've often thought about where I would like to live if and when I retire. I've been to almost every state, except the west coast ones....and to tell you the truth, I kinda like just right where I am too. It's familiar. I'd like to get an RV too and travel around and "try on" some new cities...see how they feel...
Peace

Lynn said...

I think that ultimately, home is where your family is. It's a place that is your refuge, and if you so desire, your castle. I think that change is difficult for many people, and that most people prefer the status quo. I admire people who have the courage to move away from their families. (How do kids in college do it?)

Linda said...

I was born in CT but didn't really grow up here as my Dad was career Air Force and we moved around a lot. But, CT was always home when Dad would get shipped overseas and some of my best childhood memories are of the years spent close to family until the next move invariably came along. When Dad retired in 1974, CT became officially home until I joined the Air Force myself and began my own nomadic journey. Eventually, though, even after living in California for quite some time, I came back to CT and here I am with no plans of going elsewhere. I have no idea why except that family is here and it's where I've made my home for the past 20 years so here I stay - with all of its faults and foibles - CT is my home!