Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Here, kitty kitty...

Gotta love The Far Side, a fave of many until its 1996 end. I suppose that Gary Larson just ran out of of all the loopy ideas there were after fourteen years. I like dogs (like the shady dog lawyer above), and really like cats. I was a dog fancier but not quite a cat person prior to Sir Humphrey becoming a member of our family in 1999. He was a unique animal, and really softened me up to becoming a cat person as well. Since his passing in June (here and here), we have been thinking another cat. To make it even more interesting, I propose our becoming a two cat family. My sister Michele volunteers at the Humane Society, and she said that they would be thrilled if we adopted an adult cat (most people want only kittens). I think that's okay, as our last felinus obnoxious was about 14 months old when we took him in. I guess that I like cats after all, they enrich our lives by doing absolutely nothing! I can't explain that...


I wouldn't mind a dog, but am not certain that it would work as easily as a cat given the wheelchair. So a cat it is. I grew up with a couple of canines: Boris, a gregarious, nice collie-shepherd mix, and Maggie, a lab-something mutt, aloof and liked to sleep a lot (a very cat like dog). So I'd prefer to not get into the dumb argument some get into, which is better. Both are adept at becoming furry family mates.

I have noted that if we got a gray cat, we could keep the existing pictures in frames, and who would know? Sir Hump was a fine fellow, although he liked doing things his way, which did not include his annual vet trip (see picture). You needed to use guile and trickery, of course, to get him into his travel cage. We referred to it as our patented Snag-n-Stuff Method®. It took three people to perform that trick (I could only offer encouragement). He doesn't look sad here, but resigned to his fate, booster shots in his hindquarters and a bath. His look here suggests that "they tricked me again"...Once my employment and SSA situations settle, we'll be on the prowl for a bunch more fur...

10 comments:

Rhea said...

Great cartoon! I love his stuff.

AndreAnna said...

OOOH I LOVE kitties - and I am totally on board with adopting an adult cat if you can!

Ralph said...

two for the price of one?

Patti said...

woops! that was me on your profile

Linda said...

I always loved The Far Side - great stuff!

Best of luck in finding a future feline friend. I'm sure your sister will find the perfect companion for your family.

As for Sir Hump, he doesn't look at all pleased but who can blame him??

Joan said...

The Far Side never grows old.

While it's tough finding a replacement for a family feline (yes, I know no cat can really replace Sir Humphrey), there are so many cats out there desperate for a loving, caring family. I'm sure you and Patti will find the perfect match and settle into feline domestic bliss.

Lynn said...

For a while, I had 4 cats. (Until the coyotes got two of them). My philosophy is the more the better (cats that is, not coyotes):~)

Patti said...

I just don't want to have to break up cat fights ~

Odat said...

Love the Far Side too....lol about the keeping the pics in the frame and getting a grey cat...that's a riot!
(WHAT A CUTE little cat he was!)
Peace

Patti said...

wow, Odat and I here the same second