Sunday, October 21, 2007

No more teachers dirty...

I believe the completion of this old-time sentence is "looks". Not that giving the evil eye to those students that might turn them away from what grandpa might have called n'er-do-wells. Yep, I did another stint as a substitute teacher at the middle school on Friday. This time it was a music appreciation class (ironies abound when I was there, unable to read or write music and as for a great singing voice, well...). And the day involved two sixth grade, two seventh and two eighth grade classes. The kind principal put together a writing assignment for this class, and on balance the day went as expected: The sixth grade classes were pretty well behaved, one seventh and one of the eighth grade classes behaved okay. The others were badly behaved as a rule, with maybe 4-5 students taking the time to complete the really easy assignment, at least IMO. It has become a totally social setting for many kids.

I did have a floating aide for a while, but she was called away. I did remember what other teachers said: put the troublemakers in the hall, and remember that the principal's number is 6-0-0-1. I'll remember that.

As I noted before, the sad aspect is that so many of these kids are craving attention because they don't get any at home. Unfortunately, there really is not a parental figure advising them about proper behavior, about working hard to succeed, about paying attention to authority. The problem kids now are probably going to have problems as adults. However, I cannot worry about that. I hate to see anyone fail in life, but there is nothing I can do. With the tiny bit of authority a sub has, if a student is going to be a problem, out in the hall. You will not be allowed to be a problem for me this period. Amen...

7 comments:

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Again, I salute your valor. You're right. These are basically good kids starved for love and attention.

AndreAnna said...

You survived another day in the trenches - good work!!

Lynn said...

Sounds like you had a better day this time, and that you handled the troublemakers really well. Keep up the good work!

Just wondering...did you specifically ask to sub in middle school?

Odat said...

Maybe some of your good thought will get to them by osmosis...;-)
Peace

Linda said...

You are a braver man than I, Gunga-Din!

Joan said...

Once again you've managed to come out the other end unscathed. You're one courageous substitute...or are they calling it "visiting teacher" these days?

Patti said...

Eeeek! Visiting teacher is too PC for me.