Monday, October 29, 2007

Thank you sir, may I have another?


I always liked that part said by the pledges of the other fraternity in the movie Animal House as they were getting paddled. Notice that I took the assignment (hence 'Thank you sir, may I have...", etc. Now I'm not suggesting that the title of the movie is apropos, but I'm not refuting it, either.

Yeah, it was music. I met the teacher, and was impressed. He is a graduate of the Hartt School of Music at the University of Hartford (see Kid1). This is one of the pre-eminent performing arts colleges in the country. I have a pretty good idea of how the school is easing him out, but do not have any official word. At any rate, I am thankful that the teacher will be there tomorrow. I have truly had it with obnoxious and disdainful students with no respect for authority...However, I do need some income so we can pay our mortgage to Countrywide every month.

I did get a wise-guy remark of 'Racist' from one student of color. I exploded with somewhat righteous indignation, like this, near to a shout, but not quite: "Don't you ever tell me about discrimination. I am discriminated against everywhere because of my wheelchair. People won't hire me because of my wheelchair. Don't you ever accuse me of discrimination. Got it!". The kid never said anything to me again.

And it was cathartic! I felt like that old Clint Eastwood movie where he said "A man's gotta know his limits".

However, I was subbing at the High School two days last week, and that experience was better. I had a science teacher's class, and it was far better. Of course, the ninth grade General Science was only a bit better than the eighth grade, but the tenth graders College Biology students were really good, and the Intro to Forensic senior students were really good. And of course, the teacher had a really good sub packet of assignments, so it was pretty agreeable.

What to do? Keep looking for a 'real' job and continue as is. Despite the previous rant to Mr. Obnoxious, every employer doesn't discriminate. I just have to look a little deeper, I have said that I do enjoy a challenge!

8 comments:

Lynn said...

I would make a list of the advantages and disadvantages of remaining in a substitute position. If you sub for a certain # of days in the school year, will you be eligible for medical benefits?

AndreAnna said...

Oh yay! Glad the past week has been better for you. And good for you for standing up for yourself. I've always wished I had the balls to do that.

sari said...

I'm glad you've been working. It does have to be nice to be doing different things but I can see how it would be tough!

Joan said...

I don't know what it is about students in Middle School but somehow they seem to survive those ugly years and turn into almost reasonable High Schoolers. And I'm proud to hear that you stood up to that one completely ignorant student...I only wish more teachers would do that!

The Curmudgeon said...

And I should add that my wife thinks I'd be a great teacher... except for the part about me getting sent to jail on Day One for losing it on someone....

When I was a kid and complained about a teacher at home I caught heck all over again -- the closest my parents would ever come to acknowledging that I had a point (and this happened a couple of times) would be when they said, "Well this is for the times you did something and didn't get caught...."

Not, of course, that I ever did anything.......................

Linda said...

I fail to understand why kids these days seem to think that they have somehow earned the right to be obnoxious and rude. Is Middle School tougher because of the whole puberty thing or is it just the testing of the waters before hitting high school and "the last frontier"?

Either way, good luck and I hope it all works out whatever way it's supposed to!

Patriot said...

Good luck to you! Looking for a job can be so discouraging - keep your chin up!

Hi! I came across your blog tonight. Just wanted to let you know about a giveaway I'm hosting - come check it out! Have a great rest of the week!

Odat said...

Good for you! I have found if one stands up to bullys and know-it-alls they almost always back down....Good luck with the next class!
Peace