Sunday, November 4, 2007

Blather

Well, life is good, despite all oddities. I have found a few things worth noting as a beef rump roast (no snickering!) is beginning its journey to our tasty dinner in a couple of hours.

What can you say about that formerly star-crossed American League baseball team? I love 'em, and winning the Series twice in four years is enough to forget about 1975 and 1986. It is being said that the Red Sox may become the New Yankees, constant winners that may become a most polarizing team, engendering either love or hate from everyone. I hope that they continue to win but still be lovable and not become some sort of evil empire. My two points: Don't sign A-Rod and offer enough to Mike Lowell to keep him around. Although I don't know if it's in the water in eastern MA, but I never blamed Bill Buckner for that infamous 1986 game six loss. It wasn't his fault, the relief pitching was always suspect. Once the Mets tied that game, all bets were off. It's just a shame that he was forced out of the Hub because of that (believe he lives in Idaho now). Buckner is a good man. Still, let's hope that the modern version of the Sawx avoid those ignominious losses, and quit being down 3-1 in playoffs having to win three in a row to keep on playing in October. Still, 4-0 sweeps in the World Series can be very satisfying!

This was the Far Side on today's desk calendar. My interest is that when we were little in East Hartford, we actually had a tetherball in our back yard. The ball was the size of a volleyball and it was a riot at age 10. Now we never did what is illustrated here. It takes a warped mind to even think up stuff like this, perhaps an equally warped blogger to post such...

Finally, I think that there is light at the end of the tunnel of the Social Security fight I've had with them since the year 2000. I don't want to jinx anything, so I can't be more specific. However, I have this sense that things are turning more in my favor than has been the case in over a year. I shall keep you apprised as things develop, but if I could walk, there would be a pronounced bounce in my step...

Time to peel potatoes as I continue the quest to make a smooth gravy. Nothing like the perfect blend of fat and flour, I say...

6 comments:

Lynn said...

My DH agrees with what you said. His assessment is the same as your about the "Red Sox Nation".

Sad to say but many the elementary schools in our area have removed the tetherball game, as being too dangerous.

(imagine that I am whispering)... I am wishing you good luck with Social Security...

the moose buyer said...

sure hope with win with Social Security Ralph. I say it out loud almost bellowing. BEAT THE GOVERNMENT!!!!

Of course that's the Canadian half of my dual citizenship speaking. The American half is very quietly wispering - go America S.S. - but not really meaning it.

Joan said...

Tetherball...ouch! I never did get the hang of it. As they say, "It's all in the timing" and my timing was awful!

I'm anxiously awaiting the outcome of your Social Security battle.

Linda said...

Maybe "you" have forgiven the BoSox for 1975 and 1986 but I haven't!!

Good luck with the Social Security - bring them to their knees!

Odat said...

Rump roast - good!
Far Side - good!
Social Security - good!
Red Socks????????? Sticking out my tongue - BAD!
:-)

Patti said...

Odat, my mother is a New York fan, if that helps. All NY teams!!