Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year

As the year 2007 ends, I suppose I am ready for a new year. New opportunities, new challenges, new cats (the last one isn't very reflective, but a new meowzer is in order...). Should I be contemplative? Was it a bad year?

For me, it was an irritating year. There was Social Security chasing me, the ulcerative colitis, and losing my job. But these are receding, as I think I am at a satisfactory conclusion with the government, the medicine has corrected the UC, and I did not care for the company that employed me at any rate. These things aren't terrible, merely annoying.

Tougher things happen to others. Take Patti's mom: the fire and now her fractured hip. Those things are bad. yet her mom has remained positive, slightly tempered now by her very sore hip. Yet all things have to be placed in the correct perspective.

We are here, and I am surrounded by a great family in good health. With this, everything else is managable. We have the opportunity to fight the fight each day, and not feel alone. Life has been and continues to be very good for me. And it's not just the family, the bloggosphere has given me many more friends and acquaintances this past year. I didn't blog until 2007, so this has been a nice year for me for that alone.

New Year's is somewhat of an artificial holiday. I mean, why wait until the new year to make changes you feel are needed? That can be done at any time. And really, many times New Year's Day feels pretty much like December 32nd. For us, I made a large pot of turkey chili, which will be used in part to make delicious nachos with lots of gooey cheese and sour cream (regular strength, not low-fat). It will be the four of us at home...who needs a holiday to enjoy chili nachos? Happy New Year to my blogging friends!

7 comments:

Rhea said...

I like your attitude as you look back over your year. Have a wonderful evening and enjoy the nachos.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

happy new year to you and your lovely family ralph! and i sure hope 2008 is good for you all and patti's mom too...

smiles, bee

Joan said...

I wish you and the family the happiest of New Year's and I hope 2008 brings only good things for you. Happy partying and enjoy those nachos!

Odat said...

Ralph,
You're such an inspiration! Thanks for being one of my new blogging buddies...I, like you, try to do things one day at a time...and not sit in my shit, to quote an old phrase.hehe. We've got to get back up and keep starting over and keep a positive attitude thru it all.
Thank you and Happy New Year.
Enjoy the chili!!!
Peace

Linda said...

Chili nachos and you didn't invite me over even though we live the same State?!? I am crushed ...

You made some very good observations here and I think this is one of the best end-of-the-year posts I've read. I like how you referred to the negative things as annoyances and not great tragedies as some might have seen them.

Best wishes to you and Patti, the kids and your mom-in-law for a blessed and happy 2008 and I look forward to more great posts from you throughout the coming months.

Lynn said...

What a lovely (can I say that to a man?) post. Hope that you all enjoyed the chili nachos and being together. Happy New Year to you and yours.

Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.