Thursday, December 13, 2007

Winter is for the birds (or kids)

Today is a snow day, although it is only a flurry of frozen precip so far. We were told 6-10" by 10:00 tonight, although it has been about two inches of a snow/sleet (sneet?) so far. Maybe it is as I age that winter is just not as agreeable to me.

Or maybe it is the use of the wheelchair that limits how far I can travel in the snow in my wheelchair, not more than 1". The most fun times in the winter is for the kids.

It is good for play, as we have a hill in the back yard which is good for sledding -------->


<-----Of course, all play and no work can make for a dull day, so time for Kid2 to pull out the Toro and clear a path to the road. No gain, no pain.

So, somebody has to have fun during this season, so we'll leave to the children to have the real winter fun, and leave us adults to the less pleasurable winter items such as skidding on the road and paying the higher winter utilities...

We did purchase a new Christmas Tree (not 'holiday tree', no sir) at Target on Sunday, but have not unfolded it yet, but did purchase LED tree lights, which are supposed to offset their much higher purchase costs with 82% lower electricity costs - our only contribution to the very secular 'Green Christmas'. Sigh, I used to consider the only green at
this time of the year the tree...but these LED lights are much brighter!


And so amidst the frozen moisture outside now (back to normal snow), I offer a glimpse into the summer of '92 or '93 and our blonde young'ins, Kid1 and Kid2. It looks warmer than today. Kid1 will be back for the college break next Wednesday. Santa had better get busy, I think...

7 comments:

AndreAnna said...

All we got down here in central/southern jersey is rain. Ugh. I guess it's better than snow, but somehow more depressing.

Joan said...

Why is it snow always looks so much more beautiful and fun when you're looking at a photo of it? Here most people are complaining that it's too cold and it's only in the low 60's. Sheesh!

I can't wait to see a photo of your new Christmas tree. I'm guessing there will be lots of beautiful ornaments and not a beer bottle to be seen...yes, I saw your lovely wife's post with the very creative glass tree.

Happy decorating!

Rhea said...

That must be really frustrating, not being able to wheel around in this weather. I think about getting out of the snowy weather myself. Here in Boston we got a ton of snow tonight.

Patti said...

Is Santa coming to our house this year? I thought we were going to be a Santa-free zone.

Linda said...

As I look out my window here in Norwich this morning, all I can think is "Ugh, I need to go out and try to shovel some of that stuff off the steps, etc" which is not a good thing with the back I have. I messed it up badly shoveling a few years ago and am scared to death I am going to do it again so shoveling is a long, slow process so that it doesn't become a painful one.

Can't wait to see pics of the new lights, I didn't even know they made such a thing as LED Christmas lights. What will they think of next??

Odat said...

Oh I wish I were a kid again and looked forward to sledding down the hills....oh well...
Cute pics!
Peace

Lynn said...

Reading your post, I now understand why my parents were so anxious to move from New York to Los Angeles. (It was the snow) That being said, I love to go visit snow, but at this point in my life, I wouldn't want it as a daily occurance. (must be getting old)