Thursday, January 17, 2008

Workin' for a living

I’m at a career crossroads these days. It is time to determine a new direction not just for reasons of a fiscal nature, but also for a sense of accomplishment. To allow me to enjoy the result of my efforts and maybe even the process that leads to the result.

Of course the practical has a way of intruding in these things. It’s not like I hadn’t considered a different vocation, but some consideration regarding income has some validity at this point in time. The unemployment compensation is over in about three weeks, so something has to change in a bit. To be precise, we need a real income, yet I would like to enjoy the best outlet for my talents that will allow that.

Well, there is the sub teaching I have been doing. At the best, I have been offsetting some of the unemployment income by working as a sub part-time. And really, thy pay for this stinks. But this never was a career choice, and I do not really enjoy it. And this is not for the reasons you might think. It has nothing to do with unruly students (although behavior issues have their own unique charms, as you might guess). No, it's that as a sub, you are there but not really, you are involved with the process, But you are never a part of the process. You are there for the money…


My background has been in a manufacturing, and I did enjoy being part of that. There is satisfaction, perhaps even pride in watching the finished product moving out the door. You do know inside that you made a contribution. I started working in manufacturing in jet engines, radar, janitorial equipment, airline seats and defense electronics. I was in purchasing, inventory control, production control and sales/estimating.

After so many years I do not care for it anymore. Not in the sense of hating my jobs, because many of them were okay, but in that the challenges requiring talent were not there. In many places I’ve been, the workplace dynamics too often centered solely on the internal politics – and for the worse in every family owned company.

But what to do? Honestly, I wish I could live by writing, or anything that involves thinking. Could I write? Well, I suppose that I would answer that with another question: Is writing talent hereditary? Well, my father was a writer when he worked in public relations for a large aerospace company, and at a variety of newspapers and news services before that. And he was good. And he was a very good one as well. His sister is one as well. Moi?

For encouragement, there is Patti, the writer extraordinaire. The best I know and perhaps a coach.

The practical in me wants to acquire income to pay the bills, and the time is short. If a job in purchasing et al was offered and the compensation was right, I’d take it. But I would prefer not. I want to do something different and get paid for it. Gotta figure it out…

6 comments:

GoingLikeSixty.com said...

That's a booger isn't it? I sure hope it works out for ya. Best of luck.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

ralph i don't know you well enough to offer an opinion but of course that has never stopped me before! ha ha

anyway from what i have read on your blog over the past months, why not try something in a kitchen? you like cooking. what about sous chef?

just askin'

smiles, bee

Joan said...

I wish I had an answer for you. While I started my library career straight from college, almost all of my co-workers came to library science in their middle years as a 2nd career. I envied their willingness to try something different and, just as they finally found their work bliss, I'm sure you will do the same. Don't give up...the perfect career is out there waiting for you.

Lynn said...

Why don't you peruse through a college catalog...something that you see may catch your eye. Other than that, I don't think I can be much help. Sari had a good point...you seem to enjoy cooking...maybe something in that industry would interest you.

Mimi Lenox said...

Good luck, Ralph. You and Patti can do anything you set your minds to. You are very talented people.

Pawlie Kokonuts said...

Your dilemma is common: spiritual reward vs. monetary reward, or both. Perhaps try some free-lance writing first? All the best.