Thursday, February 21, 2008

Employ this

Had an interview today. The position is for an inventory analyst, and is the ubiquitous (for this era) 'temp-to-perm'. As it is an international company that is growing at 10-15% per year. This could offer many possibilities. Provided, of course, I am offered said position.


Although these days I am neither confident nor non-confident about obtaining this. This is as it should be. Just because I utilize a wheelchair for ambulation, I do not expect a red carpet greeting...I have to be as prepared for an interview as everyone else. As such, I did well IMO. When asked to describe myself, one term I used was nuanced. Merriam-Webster describes the word nuance as:

- A subtle distinction or variation
- A subtle quality

I’ll leave it to Patti about the subtle part. I guess that I see myself as bringing a subtle quality to any position or event. Which certainly doesn’t make me better than any other candidates, but more, um, nuanced. We’ll see.

If not this, something else will be there. I posted a while back about faith and belief. It sometimes sounds a bit abstract, because maintaining faith in yourself is harder to do when the proverbial chips are down. But maintain you must. It’s not so much that I need the opportunity to succeed, but more so, I really want the opportunity to fail as well. I remain confident about the future. I was advised once that I “have the brain, not the brawn”.

Well, that is like batting .500 in baseball, where a .300 hitter is considered to be successful, which means a 70% failure rate (in getting a hit). Yet I have a better rate of success at 50%...Not to compare myself to my fave Red Sox Big Papi David Ortiz, who looks great when hitting the ball out of the park, but a .332 hitter. Therefore, I’ll take my chances at .500

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Love your Homer photo. Hopefully the person that interviewed you had a brain in their head, and a good grasp of the English language. I wish you luck and will send good thoughts your way.

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

wishing you the best ralph!!!

smiles, bee

Linda said...

Here's hoping you hit this one out of the park and you'll be getting a phone call soon with good news!

Odat said...

You may be nuanced, but you're also inspiring. I'm rooting for ya.

Peace

Joan said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that good things are on the way for you. Keeping swinging...