Saturday, February 2, 2008

Faith matters...

You need to have faith that things will work out...you do. Without getting too spiritual, you need to believe that your prayers will be answered, but not necessarily in the way you would expect...

This is the last week of unemployment benefits...so there could be money issues later, but there is no point to dwell on that. But things are looking up :>)

The interview went well the other day. It is for a position in logistics at a freight airline based in Fairfield county. I see a lot of upside at a company like this, and I am reasonably knowledgeable about the airline business (hence the moniker '
Airhead 55'). It would be a good company...although the commute to Norwalk is horrendous. I can't prognosticate about my chances, but will feel a bit more certain if I am asked for a second interview...

But what if that doesn't happen? I have a lead on a couple of assignments for Accountemps, and am talking to someone about these possibilities on Tuesday. If these don't lead to anything, let's just say I am more optimistic about the future than I may have been...

To have faith work, you might have to assume that there are no coincidences, that things do not happen in a vacuum. To wit, I needed to be laid off last June. Why, you ask? Well, for one thing, the seven year battle with the
government will finally be over: not having a job means they have to settle based on my current economic status. Also, when we filled out our FAFSA college aid form based on last year's income may mean more grants and scholarships for our kids. That remains to be seen, but in the end I believe that this is a positive for the family.

I am more confident right now. Sometimes it is all too easy for me to revert to a sort of pity. It is easy to say that
all employers will not hire someone in a wheelchair. Actually, IMO, it is probably true that most will not, but not every one. In my profile, I list as one of my favorite movies Chicken Run...a delightful animated feature. There is a line when one of the chickens says that their escape from the yard is doomed: "The chances are a million to one". Whereupon Ginger, our plucky hero, replies: "That means there is still a chance!". Indeed, I intend to keep the faith.

10 comments:

Mimi Lenox said...

Inspiring, Ralph. I shall send special prayers. Peace....

Linda said...

I love your positive attitude in this post and have faith that your faith is going to come through for you. I fully believe that all things happen for a reason - that maybe there are some decisions that we make or have made for us that don't really make a difference in the big picture of things - but I believe that the big things are what count.

You being laid off last year meant that there are better things in your future and the only way to get to them was via that method. Plus, like you said, it opened up other avenues as far as the kids financial prospects for college, etc.

Is it possible to find something in the airline industry up near Bradley Field? Wouldn't that be a slightly closer commute for you or is that in the wrong direction? I'm not exactly sure what part of Connecticut you're in but Hartford would have to be closer than Norwalk, wouldn't it?

Best of luck and I really do hope you get a second interview as every little bit helps to keep one's faith going and in the right direction. I'll be praying for you!

Patti said...

thanks so much for your kind words, Linda.

Actually Ralph said the Norwalk job is about 26 miles away, while downtown Hartford is about 43-45 miles from here (not exactly sure, but I'm sure Ralph will correct me)

sari said...

Good luck!

sari said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn said...

It is inspiring to hear your optimism. I too believe that all things happen for a reason, although that reason may not be clear at the moment. Having faith helps. I continue to hold you and your family in my prayers.

Patti said...

thank you Mimi, Linda, Sari and Lynn. I truly appreciate your thoughts and prayers,

Patti

Joan said...

Ralph...you exhibit a wonderfully optimistic attitude and I'm in awe of your positive thinking. I will keep you, Patti and the kids in my positive thoughts and prayers.

Odat said...

You are an inspiration....wow!
Best of luck to you!
Peace

The Curmudgeon said...

Hoping for good things for you....