Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Merrily we roll along

Patti mentioned in her post today that I would be a sub at a private school today. The school is a well-known (although unnamed here) K-12 school in the New Haven area...for the ├╝ber affluent parents who can afford the college-sized tuition.

I was curious, so okay I put on the tie and the wheelchair and myself went to the school. Ah, but can you guess my conundrum? The classroom buildings are inaccessible. Really. I put the best face on things, but I am clearly miffed at the agency (they should have known about the lack of access). After a couple of calls I will be paid for the day, so lesson learned: I will perform the due diligence regarding egress...


The takeaway here goes beyond any inconvenience to me. The fact that the buildings won't work with wheelchairs means that some potential students, even those whose parents can foot the bill, cannot go there. This place, being private, obviously has a large endowment and has an office of development...the funding to make the place wheelchair friendly at least to a minimal degree.

This is a private institution, so these things aren't necessary for legal reasons. Forgetting legalities, changes need to be made because that is
the right thing to do. I am not knocking this school, it is a good one. Even though, they ought attend to the details.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

I'm thinking that it will take just one wealthy person with a child in a wheelchair to get that school wheelchair accessible.

the moose buyer said...

What crap and unfair even though like you said it's a private school. Think of how many more than qualified students not to mention teachers they are losing by not making the school accessable. They sound like idiots to me!!!! Lynn is right - one rich disabled kid wants in, miracles will happen

Linda said...

Private or not, I didn't think that sort of thing was legal. Seems like they're setting themselves up for a lawsuit of some sort.

I wish you had been able to get in, I was looking forward to finding out whether kids at private schools were any better behaved than those at public schools.

Odat said...

Wow, I' am so sorry to hear that! You would think that a school such as that would have access even tho they don't have to! Geeze. Ya know I'm always looking out for things like that too...not just to give people or institutions a hard time but, just because! I was in a bank here in NYC the other day, and the tellers were located on the second floor, up two stair cases! I didn't see an elevator so I asked when I got there. It was located way in the back on the other side of the bank. But there were no signs! I pointed it out to them, of course...
Hope you have better opportunities coming your way soon!
Peace

The Curmudgeon said...

No opinion on the legalities, of course, but your bride is surely right about the most likely way that the school would be made accessible.

One thing I do have an opinion on: It was very rude or ignorant of the agency to set you up like this.

sari said...

I'm really surprised at this!