Tuesday, May 27, 2008

I love a parade

The Memorial Day parade on Sunday (in Ansonia) is always memorable, this year no exception. We occupy a city of 18,500, so it is not a large parade. But typical of such in any city or town, the place to be on a glorious 73 °F day. It goes without saying that parades like this can only occur in a free nation, whose freedoms are ensured only by those who fight for them. And too often die for those. Too easy to forget...remember those who fight for our protections and freedom. And not just on the last Monday in May and November 11th.

To the parade. I have to admit that I occupy a unique place in such events. As
a grown-up (some may dispute that) my eyes have seen the glory of the parade at 4ft 6in. So elements of the parade that are impressive to a kid are equally impressive to me. What you see is what I see. Big! Grande! Grosse!

Not to for
get the music. The AHS band marched and played along with the CT Hurr
icanes, a premier marching band in the state. They played Respect and the theme from The Magnificent Seven. (I'm old enough to remember when the Magnificent Seven theme was the basis for the TV ads for Marlboro smokes in the 60's). Kid2 is the trumpet player on the far left in blue. And the AHS band director Miss T, a most motivating teacher, invited some AHS alumni to march in the parade (sans the official uniform), and they happily marched along. Yay for the music!


<---- I'm not
small, only vertically challenged!


The house band ----->

6 comments:

Linda said...

I love a parade myself and am still disappointed that Amanda opted out of marching band. Looks to me like you had a great seat for the show and that Ansonia put on quite the parade.

Yay for them and yay for the men and women who fought and died to protect our right to have these sorts of parades. May God bless them all as well as the families they left behind.

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Well, looks like a great parade. It's been a while since I have attended a parade. I'm sure we have them here but it's not something I've really thought about.
Glad the weather co-operated and love the photos, that's always a bonus!

Patti said...

What beautiful and talented children. (I'm a bit biased)

Joan said...

As the song says..."I love a parade." I only wish our neighborhood would have such a fine colorful display to celebrate the day. Oh...and you are one lucky fellow to have your own section of the band right at home to carry on after the music has faded away.

Odat said...

It was a beautiful day, wasn't it? Parades are always fun...especially if someone special is marching in it...
:-)
PEACE

Odat said...

It was a beautiful day, wasn't it? Parades are always fun...especially if someone special is marching in it...
:-)
PEACE