Thursday, May 22, 2008

Retiring

Not in the way you think!

I was at the oil change place today, and the person who did the change told me I needed to replace the front tires, they were in bad shape.

I never look beyond the tread that I can see easily, and I figured I had at least 20K more miles of tire life. I was wrong...on the inside the tread and most of the rubber was gone, only the steel belts were showing.

And to think I drove all the way to West Hartford to pickup Kid1 at UH. On the highway. Practically on the steel belt alone.

I know we're broke a bit, but my peace of mind is feeling better after two tires and an alignment set me back $297. Yes, peace of mind is worth $297. Every penny...

4 comments:

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Eeps, it's a good thing you found out before you had a tire blow out or something on the highway. There really isn't a monetary value on safety, is there! Glad you have that all sorted out now.

Linda said...

Sometimes it's so hard to judge when tires are starting to go unless you can actually get the car up on a lift and look at them. I've only got a little over 21,000 miles on my car but I think I'm going to need tires soon and that's going to be expensive because they're not cheap ones to replace - at all!

Odat said...

Yes, one can't put a price on one's life and safety....
Which reminds me, I need to have my car looked at....
Peace

Lynn said...

Yikes, it's tough to spend $297 on tires...even though they are well worth it. It would have been less painful to have to fork out the money if you had already gotten a paycheck. Breathe in...breathe out.