Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Creative photograph


I offer this entry for Week 2 of photographer extraordinaire Roger's creative photography contest.

I snapped this with my then trusty Pentax K1000 at the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha in 1983. This bruin chose to not be in his personal pool on this stiflingly humid 102° Nebraska day. It’s like he was showing to us zoo visitors that he was tougher than the stinkin’ Omaha sun…as well as his visitors. Tough is as tough does, I suppose.

Or perhaps more of a polar bore, lazier than our cats (is that even possible??).

Note the interesting shadows of the fence bars (not bears) surrounding the exhibit.

This is a scan of the 8 ½ X 11 print in our living room, so the quality might be suspect. Even more odd is that the print is stuck onto the glass of the frame. As the negative is long gone, I hope to take a digital photo or have a professional take one to renew this unique pose. I even entered this in a company photo contest In 1984. I didn’t win, but was heartened in the day to hear some co-workers say nice things about it. I’ll take complements any day.

16 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

it is a lovely photograph!!!

smiles, bee

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Hehe... this is absolutely fantastic... do you know how many awesome captions that would fit with this photo!
What an incredible capture of the polar bear... you were obviously in the right place at the right time... poor guy obviously looks a tad overheated or had one too many the night before and just really needs to sleep it off...
Very good portrait!!

Greyscale Territory said...

A fun capture! I agree with Michele! Instantly, I thought of lots of quirky captions like ~ "My head hurts! Don't ask how!"

Excellent!

Roger said...

Very nice, thank you for you Creative Photography submission.

me ann my camera said...

A great sunbathing capture!
nature tales and camera trails

Odat said...

Wow. what a great shot!!!!
Peace

Dianne said...

I love the fence shadow

and I love the sweaty bear, his paw on his head pose is adorable

maybe he thought he'd get a tan!?

bobbie said...

A great photo! And yes, I love the shadows too.

Patti said...

This photo came out well, Ralphie, considering it's behind glass in an old frame. ;-)

Good luck in the competition.

Bond said...

I hate when the photo sticks...thankfully I still have 80% of my negatives...

I like this shot a lot

Joan said...

What a cutie...with the weather here close to the 100 degree mark, I know exactly how that poor polar bear felt. A great photo!!!

Lynn said...

Gotta wonder why the bear wasn't hanging in the pool on such a hot day...maybe he was already suffering heat stroke...poor, poor, polar bear. Great photo BTW!

Gattina said...

Very nice ! you really catched the right moment !

Ladynred said...

Wonderful shot! Goodluck to you!
Scrapbooking and Photography

SnoopMurph said...

As my son would say, I love "pola" bears! Poor bear has be sweltering in such a getup.

It's a great photo!

the teach said...

This is an incredible shot, Ralph! How did you get him to pose that way? LOL! Can't wait to see your entry for Week #3. :)