Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Creative Photography #3


Kudos to Roger for his Creative Photography contest. I only record the moment, yet always happy when the image brings back the memory.

I have posted this photo before, but this sunrise shot remains one of my personal favorites. Shot by a lowly 50mm Canon rangefinder, on 1/2/1981. It was shot from behind the wing on the starboard side of a Delta Airlines 727 somewhere over the Carolinas. I generally don't sleep on planes, and the 6:20 AM departure from Atlanta ensured that I hadn't slept since my travel day began in West Palm Beach around 1:30 AM, after a lengthy New Year.

You can pick up the gentle arcing curvature of the earth up there. The winter sky is as blue as can be just before the sun intrudes at 30,000 feet. This is another scan of a photo where the negative has been lost. Yet, the colors seen in the troposphere are still vivid. Nature is always beautiful, regardless of the pixel count...

14 comments:

Dianne said...

You absolutely captured the moment perfectly!

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

It's a stunning photo. Wow... impressive. I wish I was able to handle flying... It looks so beautiful.

Kimmie said...

This is very beautiful. I love to fly at sunrise and sunset. You do see amazing sights. What a rare photo to have captured, lucky you. Good Luck!

Blessings,
Kimmie

Star8278 said...

Beautiful!!!

bobbie said...

I remember this photo. You're right, it is very beautiful, and I'm sure your memories of the moment are too.

Good luck - Happy 4th

Greyscale Territory said...

I love that thin glowing line on the horizon. There is something inspiring about it. Just beautiful!

Roger said...

Great photo Ralph and thank you for your thoughtful comment, and your Creative Photography submission.

Ladynred said...

Amazing shot!
Scrapbooking and Photography

Vixen said...

A lovely moment you caught and the memory it brings you. Good luck in the contest too.

sari said...

"Nature is always beautiful, regardless of the pixel count."

You are correct!

Linda said...

Despite the fact that I don't particularly like flying, I do love the views that you can get from the plane windows. It's a beautiful angle to take on the world.

Lovely shot!

Lynn said...

That is one impressive picture...what makes it even more impressive is that you remember when you took it:~)

Joan said...

Although I don't like to fly, your photo reminds me what beauty can be seen from the window of an airplane. Great photo!

Odat said...

Gorgeous!!!
Peace