Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Creative Photo no. 6


This week is another photo from a 1984 vacation which included the Olympics in LA, but a several day trip to Colorado on the way. This happens to be a shot of the Rockies somewhere around Colorado Springs. What appeals to me now is the symmetry of the mountains and the clouds.

Not perfectly symmetrical of course, or even parallel. Nothing in nature has that preciseness, except maybe a spider's web. But here, it seems to be a duel: did the mountains form the cloud shapes this day? Or, does the Front Range seem insignificant as if the clouds are molding the mount instead? You wonder which is the result of what. I'd call it the illusion of proportion.

Not only has Roger and his Creative Photo Contest prompted me to dust off my photographic archives, it has opened my eyes to so many talented people and their expressive works. The best of luck to all!

15 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

do you think the wind blowing through the mountains shaped the clouds? it is interesting...

smiles, bee

Michelle said...

This is one part of the Rockies that I have not been too! Would love to some day..

Roger said...

Thats awesome Ralph, before I read your post I was admiring how perfectly the clouds masked the mountains. Nice shot my friend.

Thank you for your Creative Photography submission.

Anndi said...

It's almost as if the clouds were rolling over the mountains following them... very cool!

Good luck!

dale said...

You know what this reminds me of? An area graph that indicates a correlation between two data sets. Can you tell I've been spending way too much time at work trying to justify a massive budget overrun? Best wishes on the contest.

cheers
dale

Dianne said...

the hippie-dippie in me wants to believe that the clouds and the mountains talk each evening, deciding what they'll wear the next day

Sandee said...

Looks so serene. Great photo.

Sarge Charlie said...

interesting observation

Bond said...

Cool photo Ralph.... yup..I have been unpacking my slide carousels and all my negatives to find things for this contest...

Good Luck

genny said...

Nice one and its interesting shot.

Linda said...

Bee might be on to something, it very well good have been wind currents that shaped the clouds the way they did but it's still quite fascinating that their shape so closely matches those of the mountains below them.

Very interesting!

Good luck in this week's contest!

napaboaniya said...

I like the 3 tones of nature in this.

Lynn said...

Great photo. I like the contrast of the black and grays.

Gattina said...

I like this symetrie too, very creative picture !

RennyBA said...

Amazing photo - very well composted!

Olympics in LA in '84!! I envy you :-)