Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Creative photography #4

It is a delight to enter this weeks entry in Roger's Creative Photography contest. It is fun to provide my submissions, but even a greater treat to view the excellent work of others who capture the moment. Whatever and whenever that moment occurs.

Is this a photo for the ages? It depends on who is viewing, but for me it is. The Olympia Diner is on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington, CT. There is the undeniable art deco style all about in this 1952 classic. The passenger train car style clad in a bright stainless steel topped by a neon sign perched as if a crown. With two modern touches, a wheelchair ramp and preferred parking sign in front. Feeling so invited, we often stop there on the way back from the U of Hartford for diner delights and fresh diner coffee.

And most delightful, to me anyway, is their Corned Beef hash - the best I've had anywhere. Topped with a couple of scrambled eggs, a perfect meal anytime. I have to think that the hash recipe, like the general ambiance, probably hasn't changed much if at all since 1952. Too many buildings today are styled to evoke a certain period. Certainly the new isn't unattractive, actually most are. But not as authentic as an original of the genre.

16 comments:

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

i can almost see the counter with the pie safe on it!

smiles, bee

Roger said...

Thats great Ralph and it makes me hungry for cheeseburger! Thank you for your Creative Photography submission.

Lori Stilger said...

I love neon shots. They're reminiscent of an era of innocence to me....
Thanks for sharing!!!!

dale said...

Oh, I'd love a frosty mug of rootbeer! Great shot of a really cool looking place.

cheers
dale

Odat said...

I just love diner food.....that's a great shot!!!
Peace

Dianne said...

those old diners are great works of art and you truly captured that

I love the light from within - it adds so much to the warm tone

feels like going home for some pie

Bond said...

love the old diners...

nicely done


good luck

Chica said...

If the corned beef hash was left off my plate, I'd dine there too! lol I just adore places like those. :)

the teach said...

Ralph, I had breakfast Saturday in a REAL diner like the one you show in your great photo! Good Luck in Roger's contest! :)

Greyscale Territory said...

It is a long long time since I have been near a diner. This is certainly a blast from the past!

Great shot!

Gemma

Chuck said...

I like the way the words are laid ~ nice capture. Good luck *smiley*

Linda said...

In my humble opinion, I would have to say that New Jersey has THE best diners in the United States but that doesn't mean that there aren't some great ones elsewhere and this one looks great. The corned beef hash sounds even better! I may have to drive over to that part of the State and check it out one of these days!

Lynn said...

Do you prefer sitting facing the front of the train...or the back? lol

Joan said...

Your photo certainly captures the essence of the retro diner style. When we were young, we'd go to the Silver Moon Diner near our home and it was always such a treat. Ahh....thanks for the nostalgic look back.

Tink *~*~* said...

I think the majority of home towns have a place like the Olympia Diner - that comfortable, casual, feels-like-home place to hang out. Living far from home, it's good to be reminded of such places - thanks!

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Patti said...

Next time we're there let's get an interior shot or two to post for our blog friends.