Monday, July 7, 2008

Ruby Tuesday (Mardi rouge)


I offer this week's view for the splendid meme from The Teach
, Ruby Tuesday. This week it is the awning on this building in the German city of Cologne (Köln). I like this picture not just for the red, but the different architecture and details that remind one that, like Dorothy said to Toto: "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore". Or Connecticut, for that matter.

This shot was taken from across the street on the promenade at the famed Cologne Cathedral with its immense proportions (twin spires over 500 foot high). A trip taken long ago, when there were still Deutsche Mark, Francs and and Lira in circulation. A beautiful country with excellent food and the absolute best beer in the world. It would be fun to take such a trip again.

17 comments:

Greyscale Territory said...

What an interesting pic! The architectural detail is awesome! O to stay in such a building for awhile!

Patti said...

Nice photo! I wish I had known you then, I would have been with you. ;-)

I also admire that Old World architecture.

ellen b said...

The architecture definately lets you know you're not in Kansas, anymore! :0)
Fun shot and how great to visit Europe...

marcia said...

yes it is a good bldg and the red roof or awning is so cheerful

Carletta said...

There is so much to see in this photo! The architecture is grand!
Nice image.
Happy Tuesday.

Ladynred said...

Yes very interesting and beautiful architecture. Great shot!
Home and Garden

me ann my camera said...

The awning is like it is underlining the building as if to emphasize its presence! A good idea for red.

DrillerAA said...

Very nice photo. I love the details in the facade of the building when I enlarge the shot.
Have a great Tuesday.

Raven said...

Nice photo. You've got a red sign up on the right too. I was in Cologne with my sister in the 1970s - god, I'm old - and remember it as a beautiful place.

Odat said...

Awesome! and who are those lil figures on the building???

Peace

Dianne said...

what a great shot! the detail on the building is amazing.

I did a hotel facade this week. great minds Ralph!?

Lynn said...

Great photo. I was in Cologne a long time ago...a very, very long time ago...and I remember enjoying the city.

For The People said...

Good Morning from Mississippi! Hope you have a great week. Keep up the good work here! Great red post!

jientje said...

Köln?
That's not that far fdrom Belgium, but I've never been there, I think!
Grat picture, I love the detail!

the teach said...

Ralph, a beautiful photo with lovely architecture and of course a bright red awning! Great Ruby Tuesday post! And congrats for being first! Ha! :)

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Ahh... great post. It is where my ancestors reside... my heritage comes from here... before I started school I had spoken nothing but German and then when I entered school I had to teach my mother and father English out of my primary books. I still remember it all...

Tink *~*~* said...

Excellent subject - love those little balconies on the old buildings in Europe.

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*