Monday, July 14, 2008

Ruby Tuesday revisited

For this week's installment of Ruby Tuesday, the brainchild of Mary (aka:The Teach), I offer my submittal.

This week, it is a picture of the former Olde Birmingham Bank in Derby, Ct. Currently housing a restaurant, it was constructed in 1892-1893. The Derby Historical Society refers to the design being "constructed as a monument, richly detailed with Sullivanesque and Neo-Greek elements". I don't know much about architectural history, but I'll take their word for it.

The red stonework is stunning, and reminds me of the elegant brownstones you might find say around Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Massive to be sure, but elegant yet delicate in its myriad detailing. Style wise, classier than anything modern constructed of steel and glass.

When I met Patti in 1985, we had dined there when it was the
Olde Birmingham Restaurant, and it retained the 1893 style and details inside as well. And neatest of all, the red wine cellar was housed in the original vault. A stylish reminder of a bygone era.

15 comments:

shutterhappyjenn said...

That's a very great looking bank!

My Ruby Tuesday is posted HERE.

Hope you can drop by, too!

DrillerAA said...

Wonderful photo. I love the architecture of old bank buildings. Many really nice ones are found in relatively small communities.
Have a great Ruby Tuesday.

Raven said...

Great photo of a beautiful old building... sounds like it has an interesting history and some happy memories for you as well. Happy Ruby Tuesday.

me ann my camera said...

I love old buildings and stone work as well. This is lovely.

ann at nature tales

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Brick and stone buildings built in the late nineteenth century always look so sturdy, like they were really meant to last a long, long time.

Greyscale Territory said...

How I love old buildings! This is a glorious tone of red!

Tink *~*~* said...

Lovely building. You said it "was" a restaurant - what is it now?

Tink *~*~*
My Mobile Adventures *~*~*

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

A beautiful prominent building standing there in all of its glory.... I would be really interested to see what the interior looks like. Very nice.
~Michele~

Ralph said...

Tink - it is still a restaurant known as the Twisted Vine. I haven't seen its latest iteration as I seemed to have more money in my courting days in 1985 :>)

Dianne said...

I love brick buildings and this one is a beauty. And you're right about the area around Prospect Park - there are some incredible old beauties there.

Carletta said...

What wonderful architecture!
I would have never thought to use this for Ruby Tuesday - thanks for opening my eyes to the possibilities.

Linda said...

Now that's a restaurant I'd love to go to just for the looks of the building - I love old buildings!

BNS said...

Interesting that it had been a bank. I think I would have guessed it had been a library. Good to know it's being preserved. Happy Ruby Tuesday.

Bobbie

Odat said...

Awesome. It's funny what some of the old buildings turn into....We have a bank that was turned into an Auto Parts store...ahahahaha. My old high school was turned into a condo. I want to knock on the door and see what my old home room looks like!

Peace

the teach said...

Great job Ralph! Glad you participate in Ruby Tuesday. Sorry I'm late in commenting! :)