Friday, July 18, 2008

Tally Ho!

We complain about the heat and humidity, but we compensate for the weather by dressing for it. With cotton blends and less material. However the players in the sport of Equestrian show jumping have no such luxury. The riders wear the olde English styled wool uniforms. Tradition and all that. The poor horses wear...well, horsehair. I like traditional garb, so proper. So English.

The horses are dressed for the occasion, beautiful and many having braided manes. Style and elegance for the equine performers. The setting was Santa Anita Park in Arcadia during the L.A. Olympics of 1984. Of all the sporting events my sister and I had tickets for, the horses were my favorite. I guess that the rider and horse need to have that nuanced sense of what the other was about to do. And there is the performing aspect to this...the bar keeps being raised, and the team is penalized for the bars that fall and for a slower time. Lots of jumps.

I was looking for a Ruby Tuesday picture, so I was looking through my '84 Olympic photo book, saw these and decided to post here. The weather was hot that day, and the L.A. Basin pollutants at the track were an irritant. I was enthralled by the style of it all. Obviously, I am not of old money to be nominated a member of an Equestrian riding club. My wheelchair might be an impediment to finding a sponsor also. But the style, grace and athleticism of the horse and rider were so unique. I enjoyed it all.

6 comments:

RennyBA said...

Wooow, having an '84 Olympic book - that's impressive - thanks for sharing these treasures with us. I do love to watch this elegant horses too!

Wishing you a great end to your week :-)

Dianne said...

It's funny you're looking through old photos, I've been doing a lot of that lately as well. I have to get a scanner and put all my stuff on the PC!

These photos are wonderful. I've never been to this type of event. One of my uncles used to take me to the races at Belmont a lot. I enjoyed the excitement bit I always felt bad for the horses. I remember thinking they worked too hard.

Have a great Sunday :)

Joan said...

Great photos! We too were at the 1984 Olympics in L.A. although we concentrated on the track $ field
events since Rick was a long-distance runner at the time. Rick was a volunteer for both the men's and women's marathon (at Mile 6) and we still have all of his memorabilia. Your photos bring back such a fun time for us.

Odat said...

Yes, it is so prim and proper.....Thank you for sharing your visit to the Olympics!
Peace

Bond said...

Never seen one live, but they must be a ton of fun...

Hey, I realized somewhere along the line I never linked you from The Couch...

that has been fixed

Empress Bee (of the High Sea) said...

beautiful photos!!!

smiles, bee