Sunday, July 13, 2008

Travelin' man


I found this receipt while looking for a suitable picture in red for my last Ruby Tuesday post for the Teach. It was found in my photo scrapbook of a European trip I took in 1982 where my sister in the USAF and her friends showed me around. She was stationed in the Saar region of Germany in the charming town of Zweibrucken. Being near the French border, we went to the Auberge De Strasbourg. The most interesting thing to me is that each country feels different in not just language, but architecture and ambiance.

This restaurant is
what your perception of France might be with the checkerboard table cloths...only missing the accordion. A great meal for 251 Francs. The dollar was very strong then, and at the official rate then of
7 FR = $1US, t
he cost for the food, wine, beer and Grand Marnier around was about $36 for three, a low price even then.

In these memories, I have located my long expired passport. The American tourists had to have their passport stamped, naturally. Even in those border crossings where they usually waved cars through then, well before the open borders of the EU now. You could spot Les Américains pretty easily - they all wanted their passports stamped. And you can see a number of countries in one sixteen-hour day, one day starting in Belgium for breakfast, lunch, Bastogne (Battle of the Bulge) and Waterloo, Luxembourg (for dinner) and back to Germany.

I have often posted that I would love to see much of Europe from the wheelchair. A dream for when the US$ is stronger (and I have lots more of them). It remains in the realm of possibilities. I had better renew my passport...

4 comments:

Linda said...

I never did get to see Europe while I was in the Air Force - I feel somewhat cheated!

Seems that you had a grand time and go for it with the passport renewal because you just never know when you might need it!

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

There's a part of me that would love to see Europe as well... but I don't think that will ever happen.
I hope one day you will be able to travel through there... I really do.
~Michele~

Dianne said...

I've only been to England. I'm hanging on to my dreams of a Europe tour as well - you truly do never know :)

Love the passport - that's a good looking guy :)

Odat said...

I've been to a few countries...Ireland, Scotland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden...but I'd love to go to Italy, France and Germany....

When I first started reading your blog, I thought it said that you found a "recipe" ...so I was disappointed I didn't find one.....ahahahaha.

Peace