Thursday, August 14, 2008

Climb every staircase...

As some readers know, I do not care for my dealings with the Social Security Administration (SSA). Without laborious explanation, I've had issues with them, but for many reasons, I have to maintain a relationship with them. I have reapplied for SS Disability (SSDI), as this is one option for income for the future. With the MD, I cannot stand or walk, and qualified for these benefits in the past, losing them due to previous employment. It seems like a no-brainer in qualifying again. Not a problem. Or so I thought.

However, SSA requires an independent assessment of the condition by a doctor of their choosing. Okay, I am against fraud, so let's do it. I was referred to 1552 ------ St. in New Haven for 7/28. As my application clearly stated MD and the inability to stand or walk, I figured that access would not be a problem for my power wheelchair. Wrong! See the wheelchair ramp? Me neither!

I was polite when I called my contact at the SSA disability determination. This guy is okay, quite pleasant and was profusely apologetic. Other people did the scheduling, and he would make sure that the SSA idiots employees would verify access of the next place. This was scheduled for 8/21 at 26 --- Street in New Haven. I had my doubts when that letter arrived, so I thought that I would investigate and took the 15 minute drive to see for myself. Yes, you guessed correctly. I made two passes in dense urban traffic and infuriating one-way streets to be certain.

Whereupon I called the doctors office to verify. I was not angry, but irritated that someone someone hadn't bothered to call before scheduling. I managed to find handicap street parking (no mean feat in the city) and left a missive voice mail to my contact. I was direct and certainly not profane, slightly sarcastic. Just to make a point, and hopefully receive a bit of consideration. This time...

Apologies again. I was told that the contact and his supervisor would arrange the appointment. The next place will be Griffin Hospital in Derby which I know to be totally accessible. On September 4…only six weeks later. I needed a decision by now. Fools dumbasses. As Bugs Bunny might say “What Maroons!”

9 comments:

Bond said...

Incredible that they have such little regard for your situation.

You would think their database would show handicap accessible or not on all of their doctors...and then my next question...

WTF is wrong with these doctors???? Do they have NO REGARD for their patients, or do they just not want to have to deal with those in your situation...

a**hats

Queen-Size funny bone said...

I have heard that it is much easier with a lawyer. My husband had to jump through a few hoops but was eligible with his Traumatic brain injury. Yet I worked with someone who had a nervous breakdown and had no trouble getting on it. at the age of 28.

Linda said...

Nice to see the pictures of the places that you mentioned during our dinner on Saturday. They are worse than I had originally thought.

In this day and age of people with various and assorted disabilities, it amazes me that there are places like this that aren't accessible. I thought that there were laws against this sort of thing.

They should have sent you to Griffin to begin with and then this never would have been an issue with all of this time wasted. Yeesh!

Patti said...

They are maroons. Bugs got it right, again.

This is beyond ludicrous.

Leora said...

Good luck fighting the bureaucrats. I'm sorry you had to write this post.

the teach said...

Ralph, I awarded you with the Kick Ass Blogger Award. Come and get it!

RennyBA said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your struggles, but glad to hear that you never give up - go for it and stand up for your rights!

Michele (Rocky Mtn.Girl) said...

Wow... this story really blows me away... what amazes me is how calm you seem to be during all of this. I would've been throwing eggs out there toilet papering somebody's house... LOL...

Kimmie said...

Ralph,
I cannot believe what they are putting you through. You are so right, Morrons! I mean for goodness sake, do they not realize what a challenge it is for you to just get going for the day? I was dependent on a wheelchair not long ago. I could barely walk for over a year. Everything I did took every ounce of energy I had. Appointments were so difficult, I cannot imagine the frustration you must be feeling inside.

Have you ever read the "Spoon Theory"? If not let me know and I will send you the link.

Good Luck Ralph, I will keep you in my prayers.

Blessings,
Kimmie