Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Creative Photo No. 10


Just a couple of shots on the platform for Track 10 at Union Station in New Haven, CT. Our darling Kid1 Allegra was to visit her boyfriend in NYC, and I was hoping for photos for the blog. Given my being in the wheelchair, photos taken from my 'chair seat height of about 2 feet above the ground (and only 53 inches tall), it's not often that I get the shot precisely as envisioned.


However, I did bring the point-and-shoot and saw the train's movements in the sign. The Metro North trains arrive from Grand Central and reverse course, over thirty times a day. The trains are coming and going...going and coming back. The signs evoke what you might see from the train either way. Or both ways. Coming and going.

I am remembering using my trusty Pentax K1000 and lenses, and was thinking about trying film again. The K1000 is heavy, true, but I still have a tripod...and a cable release. The tripod placed on my 'chair foot platform? It is alluring as I was thinking about how the shot a fisheye lens would capture of the New Haven sign. Thinkin' about it...Thanks Roger for this week's photo event.

18 comments:

Leora said...

Did you posterize the photo? I've never seen this train station look so interesting! Used to past this one when I traveled from Boston to NY.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Metro-North has been a source of great adventures for me. From there you can connect to everywhere.

Ralph that chair maybe a source of unique composition for you. Not too many people are shooting from that height. Good luck with the film, personally, after shooting two rolls of film this year I am never going back.

Michelle said...

I enjoyed see your view of the train station! Great photo

Mimi Lenox said...

I like it! Do we get to vote?

April said...

I like your creative thinking. Interesting idea about the trains "coming and going...going and coming".

Ralph said...

Leora - Nothing special, I took the photo from about the same point on the opposite signs of the sign. No measurements taken, Seems to work.

Digital - I like the adjustments I used to make with a manual SLR, and don't have the money for a digital SLR. Because of the weight, I'd need a tripod or the Pentax.

Michelle - thanks!!

Queen mimi - On my say so? Okay!

April - Indeed...At a busy train station, you are left with that question...where from and to!

Roger said...

Its a good angle Ralph and a great job! I like how you have them setting next to each other with the different perspectives. The Pentax K1000 wow that's a hellva camera and it does look Heavy (I just Google image it) Thank you for your Creative Photography submission!

napaboaniya said...

Interesting views of the station :)
Good luck in this week's contest!!

GMAC said...

interesting photo! nice capture there.

Linda said...

I think that you could get a fantastic series of pictures from wheelchair height and it would certainly give the rest of us a new perspective on the world.

I'm picturing you tooling around in your power chair with the tripod attached and shooting not just pictures but videos! Very cool!

Bond said...

I am still an analog user...old school all the way

good luck this week

Kimmie said...

I like your photos this week Ralph. Very nicely done. I have never been to a train station...yet. :-)

Good Luck!

Blessings,
Kimmie

Dianne said...

I just shot about 6 rolls on my sweet old Canon! Just like albums over mp3 I love film.

We will go from old farts to retro artists Ralph lol!

Love the angle and the shadows and the pops of color.

the teach said...

Ralph, my husband used a Pentax camera (we still have it) years ago...but I don't think we'll every go back to film. They do have digital SLRs you know - but yes, they are expensive. Good luck in Roger's contest!

Bob Johnson said...

Film? what's that?, My Daughter at one time said she'd never go digital, I think she does both now,lol. love the shots, good luck.

Mimi Lenox said...

I have something for you and Princess at Bloggingham Palace.

Rockin' Red and A Cast Of Bloggy Friends

Gattina said...

When I look at these pictures I want to take the train and go somewhere !

the teach said...

Ralph, I have a brand new award for you at my blog - come see! :)